It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

No way to do an exact text search in the comments of an RTC item?

Xavier Nodet (2246) | asked Jan 22 '15, 5:27 a.m.
edited Jan 23 '15, 10:54 a.m.
I would like to find easily all the open RTC items that contain "On branch master:" in a comment.  It seems to me that it should be easy, but I can't seem to get what I want...

If I enter "On branch master:" without the quotes in the search box of my RTC 3.0.1.2 client, I get a list of 11 items titled Showing 11 (of 2117 work items containing 'On branch master:') - All Unresolved Work Items containing 'On branch master:'. But that's not ok as some of the return items don't have the text I'm looking for, and some items that have the text don't show up.

I tried to build a query instead of using the search field. The query for 'open items', without the condition on the 'full text', returns 1236 items. But when I add the condition that Full Text contains 'On branch master:", I get Showing 13 (of 1936 work items containing 'On branch master:'). And again some items show up that don't have the text, and some don't that have it...

I know that RTC has a fancy search mechanism that will try to help me (as referred to in e.g. this answer). But that's actually hurting me here...
Is there a way to get what I want?  That seems very basic behavior that should be available...

2 answers

permanent link
Xavier Nodet (2246) | answered Jan 26 '15, 4:36 a.m.
It doesn't seem possible to get an exact text search.  I thus filed a Request For Enhancement.

permanent link
Chris Rowan (1136) | answered Apr 12 '16, 10:09 a.m.
 You should request that your RTC instance be re-indexed. Inconsistent search results are often associated with stale indices, at least in my experience.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.