It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to completely delete a project area?

Francisco Rodriguez (561228) | asked Jan 09 '15, 11:37 a.m.
Hi everbody,

Is it possible to delete a project area in RTC? We need to free space from our DB. I mean COMPLETELY delete, not to archive it.

Regards,
Francisco R.

2 answers

permanent link
Francisco Rodriguez (561228) | answered Jan 13 '15, 12:09 p.m.
  As Geoffrey stated before, completely deleting a project area is not currently possible.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 09 '15, 11:52 a.m.
I am not aware of any mechanism to delete projects.

Comments
Francisco Rodriguez commented Jan 09 '15, 11:56 a.m.

Thanks Sam. Does anybody have another suggestion?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 09 '15, 1:10 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I agree with Sam ... there is no way in general to purge an entire project area in a way that frees up its space in the database.   There are selective deletions you can do for objects can be very large, such as a file version (for when you checked in a gigabyte executable by mistake). 

sam detweiler commented Jan 09 '15, 1:18 p.m.

I don't know how to actually remove large source repository artifacts.
in some of the later products there is a function to actually delete attachments.

Francisco Rodriguez commented Jan 09 '15, 6:24 p.m.

Those are bad news... thanks anyway, Geoffrey and Sam.

Francisco Rodriguez commented Jan 09 '15, 7:15 p.m.

I wonder if at least, the project area could be permanently archived so nobody can never use it. What do you think?

sam detweiler commented Jan 10 '15, 8:53 a.m.

the project will show in the archived project list on the web.. it can be unarchived with a click..

you could empty it as best as possible..
delete all the workitems. this will also delete all attachments
and delete all streams and workspaces.  I 'think' this will delete the actual changesets...

then change the projects title and archive it again.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 11 '15, 6:37 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Deleting streams and workspaces has no effect on the change sets referenced by those streams and workspaces.  If you want to effectively hide a project area so nobody can ever use it, set its read access to "project members only", and remove all project members (then only repo admins will be able to see it).

Francisco Rodriguez commented Jan 13 '15, 12:06 p.m. | edited Jan 13 '15, 12:09 p.m.

Thanks Geoffrey.

showing 5 of 8 show 3 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.