It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Restrict Work Item Access But File Against Another Team

Georges Oneissy (53522) | asked Jan 09 '15, 9:43 a.m.
 As the title explains, I need to "hide" team work items from outsiders (due to some internal issues) however, I still want to be able to create a work item filed against another team. Is that possible? Am I missing something?

Comments
Donald Nong commented Jan 12 '15, 6:51 p.m.

If it can be done somehow, the behavior will be a bit unusual. Say, you open a new WI form to fill in the data, and when you click "Save", it disappears, as you are not supposed to see it again. What should be displayed on the web page then?

Georges Oneissy commented Jan 13 '15, 2:08 a.m.

That is part of our problem - please note that restricting work items will not even allow you to save the work item if it is filed against another team. Even if we try to file it against our team and own it by another user, the user will not be able to view it. Currently searching for a work-around or a middle solution, i.e. restricting access to work items unless you have direct or indirect impact on the item  

Georges Oneissy commented Jan 13 '15, 2:09 a.m.

That is part of our problem - please note that restricting work items will not even allow you to save the work item if it is filed against another team. Even if we try to file it against our team and own it by another user, the user will not be able to view it. Currently searching for a work-around or a middle solution, i.e. restricting access to work items unless you have direct or indirect impact on the item  

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 15 '15, 8:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Read Access to Work Items can be restricted by
  • Access Control on project area level
  • Restricted Access on individual work items

Restricted access can be used to limit visibility of work items based on
  • Project area or team area ownership and membership
  • Automatic, using categories
  • Membership in access groups
  • Manual
  • Custom automation

Restricted Read Access to Work Items based on Category

• Enable restricted access to work items based on work item category
    • In the project area administration (Web UI), section Categories
    • Select the categories which should have access restriction enabled
      • When setting restricted access on a category, all nested child areas, will automatically be set to restricted access
      • It is not possible to disable restricted access in a sub process area
  • Work Items filed against a category (owned by the related process area) with restricted work item access can only be seen by
    • members of that process area
    • members of child areas of that process area

That pretty much sums it up. If you restrict by category, you must be in the team to be able to read and write (save) it there.

Georges Oneissy selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 13 '15, 3:02 a.m.
Read only restrictions automatically enforces that you can also not write the work item.

If a user has no read access to a team's work items, they can not save the work item in that team area. That means they can not file it against this team.

You would have to setup a mechanism with an "inbox", where work items can get filed against and a team member picks them up and moves them to their team area.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 13 '15, 3:04 a.m.

I would suggest to create an enhancement request. I have seen this come up a lot.

permanent link
Georges Oneissy (53522) | answered Jan 15 '15, 8:03 a.m.
 Dear Ralph,

Can you please elaborate on that mechanism? I was trying to see if there is a non-manual approach, or if I have missed a configuration somewhere. Any help and suggestions is more than welcomed

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.