It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I merge a project that was branched into another stream?

David Wood (1968) | asked Jan 08 '15, 9:08 a.m.
edited Jan 08 '15, 9:11 a.m.
I have a single Java project in Eclipse that we copied into another stream and component.  I now want to merge selected changes from the project in the 2nd stream back into the original project. 

This may be 2nd question, but when I use Show History on the project from the 2nd stream, I see change set messages from changes that were only supposed to have been in the 1st stream.  The highlighted changeset below was performed in a project that was connected to a repository workspace associated with the Research stream.  How did it show up in the SWG stream?

I can't include the image I'm referring to because "File uploading requires reputation > 60" I hope that's a bug.


Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 08 '15, 10:02 a.m.

The prevention of posting images without reputation is a spam protection mechanism.  To workaround it, you can post your image to some public web site, and then include a URL to that image in your post.

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 08 '15, 10:00 a.m.
RTC will not do anything in particular to help you merge a file that you have copied into another component.   To get automated merge support, you need to make the changes in the other stream to the *same* component, and then RTC will help you merge the changes.   In particular, when branching, you should never *copy* anything ... you create the new stream from an existing stream, or from a snapshot creating on the existing stream.

When you say "Show History on the project", do you mean "Show History on the component" or "Show History on a file"?   In either case, the way a change set shows up in a stream is through a "Deliver" operation (from the workspace containing the change set, to the stream).  If you are using RTC-5.0.2, you can see in the history of the stream who delivered that change set to that stream.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.