It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I fix gibberish output in csv and pdf export from RQM while using Hebrew language characters?

Gerd Schiering (12211316) | asked Jan 06 '15, 5:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 06 '15, 5:25 a.m.
These problems in csv and pdf export have two different two different causes.

1. When opening any file Microsoft Excel is trying to find the proper encoding automatically.
csv files usually have no such information as they are historically just plain text.
Excel will therefore pick the the default code page associated with default language on your OS.
If your Windows machine is set Hebrew as the default language, the code page in use is Windows-1255 (ASCII).
But a csv file from RQM is best opened in UTF-8 to work on different operating systems and have support for all languages.
Therefore you need to help Excel in choosing the correct encoding when opening the file.

a. Create a new, empty spreadsheet
b. Go to the "Data" tab and choose "From Text"

import in excel

c. Select the CSV file you want to import:
d. Select the encoding of data inside this file (choose Unicode - UTF-8 for an RQM generated csv file):

encoding choice

Now the Hebrew characters will show correctly in Excel.

2. The pdf's that are generated with ### instead of Hebrew characters there is most probably another root cause.

RQM generates PDF reports on the server for you to be downloaded when they are ready.
There are two settings/prerequisites to make this work for Hebrew and other languages.

a. The desired font that will be used for generating PDF's must be installed in the system's font directory.
This is usually the default case on a MS Windows OS, but is also needed for a UNix/Linux system.

b. And you must specify the font, based on locale, in the Server Administration page.

Open the list of "Advanced Properties", at
https://your-clm-server:9443/qm/admin#action=com.ibm.team.repository.admin.configureAdvanced
and search for the Print Component.
Find the entry for the language/locale that your OS is using, in this case Hebrew:

font server settings

Accepted answer

permanent link
Gerd Schiering (12211316) | answered Jan 06 '15, 5:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 06 '15, 5:24 a.m.
For a Windows system for example you change the Default Hebrew Font to  "Arial" and then click "Save" on the top right of the page.

The server administrator must specify the desired font for each language/locale that will be generating PDFs.
This change does not require a server restart.

Now the Hebrew characters will show correctly in your pdf reports.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Dec 12 '16, 7:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

See the steps in the question.

2 other answers

permanent link
ahmed bayoumi (134) | answered Jan 23 '17, 3:56 a.m.

i have the same issue in PDf exporting for the test cases  , and i did not find arabic language in the  language list in Qm " advanced  properties "

could you please tell me how to  add arabic language in this list

regards

permanent link
Setembrino Lusa (54) | answered Dec 08 '16, 3:47 p.m.
@asq Hi, how to handle that for Brazil Portuguese, I am having problem with Latin to special chars when exporting test cases to csv...
my advanced properties' default font is Helvetica to Brazil Portuguese.

Comments
Setembrino Lusa commented Dec 16 '16, 12:58 p.m.

@paules Hi, as you said here https://jazz.net/forum/questions/177754/change-encode-type-when-download-rqm-test-case-execution-record-to-csv-format-file

all the RQM exports encodes all data as UTF-8.

But I have csv exports using other encode pattern as I said here https://jazz.net/forum/questions/232290/why-is-it-different-when-exporting-pdf-and-csv-with-portuguese-brasil-output-special-characters#232321

And my question here is:
Is there a way to RQM export do the same as RTC, to export CSV using UTF-8 and show all the data translated by the browser language config ?

Paul Slauenwhite commented Dec 23 '16, 10:39 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Setembrino, I would suggest open a PMR since this appears to be a product defect. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.