It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Customizing the link between work items and the build

Sterling Ferguson-II (1.6k8279269) | asked Dec 23 '14, 3:39 p.m.
edited Dec 30 '14, 11:43 a.m.
CLM 502
All,

I can see what work items are in the build from the results page. I can run a query for "Included in builds", but how do I simply do the following:
  • Label or append to the build the number (x.y.z)
  • Query, or append to the work items the number (x.y.z)
I'm looking for something more automated. I know I can put xyz in the tags for all of these, but I am just wondering if there was something that I am missing that may be a quick and easy solution to add to an Ant script or something via Eclipse..or something.

In the end, I want 

build 20141223-1502_502
Run a query for all work items in 502

thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Jan 05 '15, 12:28 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Sterling. For updating the build label and/or tags, you can use the buildResultPublisher Ant task. The label assigned by JBE is available in the buildLabel Ant property, so you could use e.g. <buildResultPublisher … buildResultUUID="${buildResultUUID}" buildLabel="${buildLabel}-${releaseVersion}"/>, assuming the existence of a releaseVersion property, which could be added either in the build script (if you want it under SCM) or as a build property in the build definition.

For querying all work items associated with a given version, you probably will need to somehow tag the work items themselves, rather than querying via builds, since it's normal for intermediate builds to get pruned. The work item links are generated after the SCM accept is performed. If this is done by JBE as usual, this would happen before your script had a chance to update the build label, so the links would not contain the new build label in their endpoint labels (the Eclipse UI gets the latest label when possible, so you don't normally see the labels stored on the link unless it can't get the latest label, e.g. if the build was deleted).

Sterling Ferguson-II selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sterling Ferguson-II commented Jan 07 '15, 9:44 a.m.

Thanks for the answer Nick. I hope that there is a more common/easy approach to something like this in the future. Either an email solution or Report. It's basically, "How can I generate a Release Notes." for people who may/may not have access to the system, or lack of understanding of going through a build results page.

Nick Edgar commented Jan 07 '15, 9:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Ah, ok. You can use the generateChangeLog Ant task to generate a report of the change sets and associated work items for a given build, or between a given build or snapshot and some other given build or snapshot. This is an automated equivalent to clicking the changes link on a build, or comparing two builds / snapshots, then exporting the result from the changes view (option in triangle menu).

One other answer

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Jan 02 '15, 4:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello,
not sure I fully understand what you want to achieve / what is missing here.
May you please provide more details?

Thanks,
Eric

Comments
Sterling Ferguson-II commented Jan 04 '15, 12:37 a.m.

Hello Eric,

You do a build and get a result like this:

C20141220-1506

I would like the build to be something like this

C20141220-1506-9.4.12

I would like to run a query to do a listing of all work items that have gone in 9.4.12 or 9.4.x

Again, I see that you can add tags to work items and builds, but am I missing the command to add it to these items from the Jazz build scripts themselves?

Eric Jodet commented Jan 05 '15, 1:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hello,

not really my area of expertise,
so I passed the question to our Build SME,
so he provides you with some answer.

Eric

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.