It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Making an RTC Object Obsolete - Or To Appear As Such

Gregory Siegfried (611) | asked Dec 22 '14, 10:41 a.m.

Hello. I read the RTC forum regarding different ways to delete and make an object obsolete, but none really meet the requirements we have in our environment.  I was looking for an RTC option for "Mark Obsolete" similar to the one that exists in the ClearCase environment, but have not found it.  I simply want to mark certain pieces of code in our RTC environment that are no longer necessary, and mark them as obsolete, which would prevent any developer from delivering them to a Production Stream.  I thought of the possibility of creating an "Obsolete Stream" that is read only or not visible to the normal Team Members in our environment, then moving the object(s) we identify as obsolete into the "Obsolete Stream" and deleting those objects from the Production Stream.  Is it possible to keep Team Members from flowing obsolete objects to the Production Stream?

Thanks in advance!

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Dec 22 '14, 11:42 a.m. | edited Dec 22 '14, 11:42 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

When you say "certain pieces of code ... that are no longer necessary", do you mean "a list of files that are no longer necessary" or "a list of file changes that are no longer necessary" (i.e., a list of ClearCase branches, or a list of RTC change sets)?  I'm guessing you meant the latter, but wanted to confirm.

In ClearCase, to mark something as "obsolete", you would lock it... is that what you were looking for?   Locking a branch as obsolete in ClearCase does hide it from many places in the GUI, but it does not prevent you from delivering (merging) it to a production branch, so I wanted to confirm whether you were looking for the ClearCase obsolete behavior, or were you looking for a "prevent delivering this to production" mechanism (which I do not believe is provided by ClearCase, except by writing a custom trigger).

Gregory Siegfried commented Dec 22 '14, 12:25 p.m. | edited Dec 22 '14, 2:13 p.m.

Hello Geoffrey. I was referring to a list of files that are no longer necessary and have been deleted from the Production environment / server (outside of RTC). From what I remember in ClearCase, if you marked an object (piece of code) as obsolete, it made it invisible to normal Team Members, but not Administrators. Since we no longer have ClearCase I cannot verify that was the case. I would like to be able to hide the obsolete piece of code from Team Members so that it is not an active object and no longer accessible to be flowed to the stream.   Thanks.

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Dec 26 '14, 11:10 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Probably the easiest way to hide those files from everyone is to go into the Repository Files view, and change the access control on those files so that cannot be read by anyone.

permanent link
Pavel Dubovitsky (2814) | answered Dec 27 '14, 1:13 p.m.
edited Dec 27 '14, 1:15 p.m.
You could create a baseline and remove this piece of code. It would no longer appear in the workspace, but it still could be accessed using the baseline you created.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.