It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Keep Jazz servers online when backing up Oracle repository

Pierre Friend (191915) | asked Dec 09 '14, 2:28 p.m.

Hello,

Technote # 1454793 states that when using Jazz v.3.x with an oracle database, it is important to stop the Jazz server before backing up the oracle repository if using the datapump without "flashback_scn" method. Stopping the server is recommended because performing a backup when the Jazz server "is still up and running might result in inconsistent, corrupted, or out of sync, hence unusable repository database backups".

We are currently using datapump without "flashback_scn" to backup our production Jazz v.4.0.4 Oracle database repository. We stop our Jazz servers every night to let the scheduled nightly datapump backups run uninterrupted. Does this technote also apply to Jazz v.4.0.4 or higher?

We would like to keep our servers on-line all the time...so my question is if we decide to use the datapump method with parameter "flashback_scn", can the Jazz v.4.0.4 servers remain on-line while the oracle repository backup is being executed in the background? By using datapump-flashback_scn, are there any risks similar to those described in the technote or other potential risks that we should be aware of before taking this route.

Thank you,

Pierre

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 10 '14, 4:02 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
See https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/BackupCLM for more information. Please carefully read the online backup section and be aware that the database is not the only data that needs to be backed up.

I have seen problems with online backup using datapump at customers. Especially when the database grew bigger. I am by no means an expert in these matters.

In Other DB's you can backup transactions which is less likely to produce issues. Enterprise databases also allow for redundant storage.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.