It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DOORS RTC integration scenarios (more general question)

Kai-Uwe Rupp (611) | asked Dec 09 '14, 10:28 a.m.
Hi,

I am currently trying to understand which options / scenarios exist for a migrating from existing (global) DOORS 9.4 (Citrix based) and (global) RTC 4.0.4 islands to a global, integrated DOORS RTC solution (potentially including an updateof the currently used DOORS and RTC versions).

My first hope is, that it is not only possible but also sensible to continue to use DOORS as it is currently used but with Next-Gen DOORS as an additional "client" for RE activities from inside RTC. That would give us the option to keep doing what we do with respect to classical requirements engineering and documentation and add the linking and traceability from within RTC. That said, if at some point in the future DOORS itself is no longer required, because we can do everything better with Next-Gen DOORS, then this should still be possible.

But maybe I am mistaken and the above migration scenario is not possible or has drawbacks that I don't see yet.
Can somebody help me better understand what is possible and what the ins and outs are for these different options.

Kind Regards
Kai

One answer

permanent link
Maeve OReilly (3813) | answered Dec 19 '14, 11:33 a.m.
Hi Kai,

It is possible and I believe relatively common to have both DOORS 9 and RDNG linked to RTC, though generally to different RTC projects.  For example existing projects in DOORS 9, new ones in RDNG.  At some point you may migrate DOORS 9 to RDNG.  At the moment I don't believe it is possible to also migrate  RTC links via reqif if that if your question.  But that may change and could be scripted even now.  

You will need DOORS Web Access (DWA) installed and configured and I would go with the latest DWA version (current in 9.6.1).  Server can still be 9.4.  DWA should be close, very low ping times, to the DOORS database server (i.e. ideally in the same data centre). 

Maeve

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.