It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In RQM, is it possible to have multiple sub test scripts attached to a master test script?

Sunny B (824) | asked Dec 05 '14, 9:41 a.m.
In RQM, is it possible to have multiple sub test scripts attached to a master generic test script which is linked to multiple test cases?

I am currently using test data - iteration. I have multiple test cases linked to one test script. Now i would like to separate few steps from this master script and run from a different sub script(multiple). See details -

1. Multiple test cases - one test script and multiple rows of test data in csv file which has test case numbers in it.
2. In the middle of execution i would like to have the focus on a different sub level script and then return back to the master script.
3. Then the iteration would go to the next row and repeat steps 1 and 2.

Please let me know if this is possible or is there any work around  available?

If i try to add the details related to the sub scripts, the generic master script will get bigger and not all the steps are needed for all the test cases. Hence the idea to keep this dynamic set of scripts in a sub script and select the needed sub script while executing.

Thanks in advance,
SKB

One answer

permanent link
Ara Masrof (3.2k15) | answered Dec 05 '14, 9:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Sunil,
Have you considered the use of Keywords? 
When you have a moment, take a quick look at the following article, it may be helpful

Ara

Comments
Sunny B commented Dec 05 '14, 9:54 a.m.

Yes I considered using keywords, in our environment we use keywords only for very generic steps so that it can be used by anyone in any task. Also i am curious to know if keyword will work with test data iteration. Another option I considered is attaching a separate file(word/excel) to the script with the test case numbers and specific details.

Sunny B commented Dec 05 '14, 10:35 a.m.

Hi Ara,
   Thank you for your quick response. Yes I considered using keywords. But I have few concerns with keyword approach.
1. Lets assume i have 5 rows in csv file as test data. There will be 5 iterations.
For each iteration, I want the user to see only the relevant information to that test case scenario. When it goes to the second row - iteration in the csv file, the user should be able to see a different set of information.(This text information can be from one word to 100+ words). If i use keyword, I am concerned with the fact that there will be 5 keyword place holders in the script and i will have to put a step in the each keyword script - "only applicable for test case xy". Hope it makes sense what i am trying to achieve here.
2. I considered attaching a separate file (word \ excel) with test case numbers and text information in the script.
3. I considered adding all the text information to a column in csv file. But this has formatting issue. In the test execution record, it appears as a big block of text which makes it hard to read.

Thanks,
SKB

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.