It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

First build questions - Abandoning/Deleting builds

Mahari Hill (4861169230) | asked Dec 04 '14, 8:46 a.m.
4.0.5 RTC

What happens when you Abandon a build that includes 6 work items? There is an abandoned build and they have since built twice more...

1) What should I do to abandoned builds?
2) What about the work items?
3) Is the code delivered to the next successful build? Or is the code "lost"?
4) Is there a best practice on deleting builds? (we will soon start pruning)
5) Is there a best practice on abandoning builds?

thanks, the help states we can abandon builds, but not what happens to the work items and change sets...

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 04 '14, 9:05 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As far as I can tell, abandoning a build only stops the build process. You can delete the build result. Nothing bad happens to work items or changes. You abandon the build if you want to stop it e.g. during build script development, or if you need another build to happen instead.

No code gets delivered to any build, as long as you don't custom code something. A build works on a repository workspace of a user (personal build) and uses that configuration to load the SCM data or on a build user owned repository workspace. If so configured the build accepts new incoming changes from the stream. The work items are only related to builds by their links to the changes that go in. Nothing bad happens to them either.

The next build request will be performed and pick up the change sets.

Comments
Mahari Hill commented Dec 04 '14, 10:14 a.m. | edited Dec 04 '14, 10:15 a.m.

Hello,

So I have 6 work items pointing to this Abandoned build.

1) Are you saying that the code has moved on to the future builds?
2) Should I point the work items to the next build in line? Right now, devs are wandering what happened to their code...they want to tell people the build their code went in to...
3) How do you unlink the Abandoned build?

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 04 '14, 10:29 a.m. | edited Dec 04 '14, 10:29 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The code is USED in builds. It does not MOVE to a build.
The work items are COMPUTED from the snapshot on the build. The link will remain I think, but the work item will also be included in the next build as far as I can tell, because the change set will still be in the next build.. The link might not be navigable if the build result is deleted.

If you report work items against a build then you can report them against another build as well.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.