It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

When using RRC and RTC for agile, why can stories be created from RRC artefacts when stories define the requirements?

Martin McAuley (1721533) | asked Dec 01 '14, 5:43 a.m.
When using RRC and RTC, we can see how RRC artefacts can be used to elaborate and enrich RTC stories. However given we will start by creating stories in RTC, what use is the RRC function to link a collection of artefacts to a RTC plan and then be able to automatically create stories (plan items) for each RRC artefact in the collection? This seems to pre-suppose that the RRC artefacts come first. Similarly RQM test cases can be automaticaly generated and linked back to the RRC artefacts but in agile shouldn't test cases be linked to the RTC stories? To make sense and use of the RRC functionality it seems that we would need to create artefacts in RRC e.g. Features, which can then be used to auto-create stories and test cases, then to see a test case for a story we would need to navigate to the RRC feature and then to the RQM test case. Overall it seems that RRC artefacts need to be the top artefacts rather than RTC stories? Also how would this all work for epics?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Dec 01 '14, 8:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The idea behind this is, that a lot of users need more formal requirement management. This is usually done in RRC. Then the requirements are planned for implementation and plan items are generated for this purpose. This is a common method and thus it is the use case that was implemented. It allows easy tracing of requirement and implementation - which is the key for organizations that work this way.

No size fits all however. I can see that your workflow is completely different. I would suggest to just link your stories to the informal requirements in RRC that you use for elaboration, instead of generating the stories from RRC. I am not sure if it is possible to influence what RRC uses to create the item. Unfortunately I can't look into it right now either.

Comments
Martin McAuley commented Dec 01 '14, 9:21 a.m.

Thanks for the reply. You mention that our workflow is completely different but we are just starting with agile stories, is that not the usual way to start when doing agile? We are using the RRC agile template, so if we did start with requirements and auto-generated stories, which type of artefacts would you expect to use in the RRC collection - Features, so each RRC feature would link to an RTC Story? How do epics fit in to an agile RRC/RTC setup?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.