It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

fwrite() failed - EDC5003I Truncation of a record occurred during an I/O operation

Rajeev Gupta (1112) | asked Nov 26 '14, 1:32 p.m.
edited Dec 01 '14, 9:49 a.m. by Jennifer Cianchetta-Riordan (2512)
 We have issues where RTC editor does not force 80 character limit on a line. When the build tries to write to m/f dataset, it fails with error - EDC5003I Truncation of a record occurred during an I/O operation. We are using RTC 4.7.

Qs: 
1. Is there any editor options we can use to modify COBOL code in RTC which can enforce 80 char limit
2. Even a blank space at position 80+ fails. Is it possible to ignore/truncate blank spaces automatically
3. Any other option to deal with this issue.

Thanks

2 answers

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered Dec 01 '14, 10:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Dec 01 '14, 10:16 a.m.
Although I agree with Donald's response that a COBOL-specific editor that enforces the limit would be optimal,  there are other options:

1. Turn on Eclipse's line-width marker (Preferences > Text Editors > Show Print Margin) so users know where the limit is.
2. Write an advisor for RTC that checks the length of each line on cbl files when they are delivered, and prevents deliveries of files with lines that are too long.

EDIT: words.

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Nov 27 '14, 12:01 a.m.
The plain RTC itself does not support COBOL. Are you using any other editor to edit the COBOL code? Since you are talking about mainframe, you should consider a tool built for the mainframe. But it appears that even RDz does not "enforce" the limit either.
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/132431/rtc-rdz-editing-cobol-program-set-boundaries

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.