It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to get multiple components from different RTC projects into single (RAD )workspace

michael entler (171226) | asked Nov 20 '14, 3:29 p.m.

The situation is roughly this:

We have a web portal project that will have common code for many applications which we wish to manage within their own projects in RT. Eventually most of our applications will live on this portal and share components.

Developers want to have a workspace where they can work on the common code and the application code together. I.e. they don't want separate workspaces for the common code and their application code.

These will be versioned separately (they are in separate components).

My first thought was to have the application components shared between the common RTC project and the application projects with component level security, such that any changes the Application project delivered would be delivered to the master project and vice versus.

After learning more about how the developers were working, I found out this:

A. doesn't seem to work as I expected

B. the developers still had to have separate workspaces.

My only thought now is that we have to have everything under one project and have project team security such that developers can pick all the components they have access to (common and application) to put into a single workspace. This really isn't the way we want to go because we'd basically be running all our applications under one project.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 21 '14, 4:20 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Nov 21 '14, 4:21 a.m.
As far as I can tell, you don't need the components in only one project. SCM data is not contained in a project area. It is owned by an owner which is a team area or project area, which controls visibility and operational behavior.

You can easily add a component from any RTC project to a stream and then load the stream. The Stream can be owned by any project area.

Your repository workspace, by the way, is not contained or even owned by a project area, either. It is owned by you (or whatever owner is set).

Comments
michael entler commented Dec 03 '14, 3:27 p.m.

thanks for this response.

The problem with this is I want to be able to build a one time workflow where

Where one project delivers the changes and the other project receives the updates automatically.  The component would be the same, but obviously the streams would be different.

No one wants to keep changing workspaces (which have to be pointing at one stream at a time) to achieve this.

If I take a component that Project A is updating and add it to Project B (from another workspace or stream), it doesn't appear to do what we are wanting.

But perhaps I'm not seeing the behavior as intended.

Thank you

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.