It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

When creating a new work item for a link, can attributes be prepopulated from current work item?

Neal McKegney (551422) | asked Nov 18 '14, 10:34 a.m.
in RTC 4.0.7, from within a work item, if I go to the links tab, pick a link type (Related Change Request for example) and select 'Create new work item', in the pop up dialog, I'd like to populate some of those attributes (Severity, Priority, etc...) with details from the existing work item I'm linking the new one to. 

Does anyone have any examples of doing something like this?

Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 18 '14, 11:33 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Nov 18 '14, 11:34 a.m.
Neal,

there is nothing available out of the box for this kind of functionality. The only hint I can provide is to use a follow up action: On the save of the new work item follow the newly created link (if you know which one to follow) and use a follow up action/participant as described in https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/rtc-update-parent-duration-estimation-and-effort-participant/ .
Neal McKegney selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Neal McKegney commented Dec 05 '14, 4:11 p.m.

Thanks Ralph.  I'll investigate

One other answer

permanent link
Kevin Eifinger (1211710) | answered Nov 18 '14, 11:35 a.m.
 Hi Neal,

in the Web client you can use "Copy Work Item". It is on of the buttons in the top right corner.
This will create a new Work Item of same type with the values you want to take over. However this sets an automatic link type "Copied from".

In the eclipse client you can use "Extract Work Item" which lets you choose Work Item Type, Link Type and which attribute values to carry over. The button is once again in the top right corner.

Kevin

Comments
Neal McKegney commented Dec 05 '14, 4:09 p.m.

Thanks, those are both good solutions.  I actually want to link across repositories, so unfortunately, I don't think either of them will work.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.