It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

First build questions -- Defining a Clean Build

Mahari Hill (4861167230) | asked Nov 16 '14, 8:39 p.m.
CLM 4.0.5

I am fully taking over responsibilities of a former release person. It's my first build, so I have been reviewing the help, the library and youtube. Our former team member has set up a complex build script. So I have a series of questions as a first timer.

The first. I have read the log files and there are TONS of delete statements. I have read about doing a "clean" build before your "regular" build to speed up performance time. Is there any build.xml needed for this type of build? Or can I just select the option to "Delete directory before loading"(which we are using)? Is there a need for the startbuildactivity on this? I want to run this an hour before the real build....

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Nov 16 '14, 9:58 p.m.
Typically you just select delete directory as part of a build. Not in advance. Clean means build everything.

permanent link
Jeff Care (1.0k3833) | answered Nov 18 '14, 10:29 a.m.
 Most builds have a "clean" target that can be used to restore the source tree to a pristine state. A properly configured clean target will restore the source tree to a state that makes it indistinguishable from a fresh source extract.

The RTC "Delete directory before loading" function is the nuclear option - it does the work for you but also removes the previous source extract. If your codebase is small this probably doesn't matter, but if your codebase is large you are incurring a significant penalty by having to reload the entire source tree from scratch every time.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.