It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Set up "my" workspace for personal builds.

Andrea Toncelli (2749) | asked Nov 07 '14, 12:26 p.m.
edited Nov 10 '14, 11:24 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
 Hello,
 If I am a developer and I want to be able to use the personal builds, how do I need to set up my workspace, the "build user" role etc..?

I keep getting the error:

com.ibm.team.build.common.TeamBuildException: CRRTC3529E: The user, bm02, does not have read access to the workspace with the following UUID: _QbcDIFkxEeS16IOVPhIigg.

I set up my workspace to be public (Do I need to do that?)
What else?

Thanks

Comments
Evan Hughes commented Nov 10 '14, 4:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
  1. Is the build user able to run the same build from a stream (ie, a non-personal build)?

1. Is it possible that you have two repository workspace with the same name, and that one of them cannot be accessed by the build user? You can search for the workspace by name (Search > Jazz Source Control > Repository workspaces and Streams) to see. 

3 answers

permanent link
Patrick Remington (2013) | answered Nov 10 '14, 9:54 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Andrea, in the Collaborative Lifecycle Management messages information center on Jazz.net (https://jazz.net/help-dev/CLMErrorMessages/index.jsp), the user response for message CRRTC3529E (https://jazz.net/help-dev/CLMErrorMessages/topic/com.ibm.rational.rtc.messages.doc/CRRTC3529E.html) is to either update the user's permissions so that they can access the workspace, or change the permissions of the workspace to allow access to the user.  Your user bm02 apparently have access to the workspace.  Do the workspace permissions include bm02 as a user ID that can access the workspace?

Comments
Andrea Toncelli commented Nov 10 '14, 11:31 a.m. | edited Nov 10 '14, 11:32 a.m.
Hi Patrick,
 The build process is run by the build manager user account as suggested by IBM.  
If I use the first link, and try to search my error, I get way too many references.
The second link does not work work for me.
Are you suggesting that the build manager account has control over the developers work spaces?
Is this what IBM does to get personal builds working?
What permissions does the build manager account need to have?
I am not sure how to:
>>update the user's permissions so that they can access the workspace
Or:
>>change the permissions of the workspace to allow access to the user

There is only one owner and that needs to be the developer. 
I changed the visibility to public.  I am not even sure if that is too much if I should use 'scoped'

And how to set up:
>>Do the workspace permissions include bm02 as a user ID that can access the workspace

Do you have any documentation that explains exactly what we need to do for permissions and template configuration to get the correct set up?

I cannot find anything.

Thanks

Evan Hughes commented Nov 10 '14, 4:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I believe the correct link for the 3429E error is https://jazz.net/help-dev/CLMErrorMessages/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rtc.messages.doc%2FCRRTC3529E.html

"update the user's permissions so that they can access the workspace" means: update the build user's permissions so they can load the workspace. i.e. if the workspace is scoped to a project area, ensure that the build user is a member of that project area. 

"change the permissions of the workspace to allow access to the user" means: modify the scope of the workspace so that the build user can see it. ie, make it public/scoped. 

Andrea Toncelli commented Nov 11 '14, 8:14 a.m.

>>update the build user's permissions so they can load the workspace

I am not sure what I need to do here. The project is using an out of the box template. 
The build user is a developer & release engineer.

>>"change the permissions of the workspace to allow access to the user" 
Workspace is public.

Evan Hughes commented Nov 19 '14, 11:03 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

With the workspace set to public and the build user able to see it, you should be able to run a personal build.

You could try logging in as the build user and loading the workspace to see if any problems arise.

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered Nov 10 '14, 2:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The build user needs to be able to see the contents of your repository workspace, so the workspace must be public or scoped to a project area that contains the build user. 
I suggest public, since your component permissions protect the files/folders contained in the workspace. 

Comments
Andrea Toncelli commented Nov 10 '14, 2:53 p.m.

Could you also please point me to documentation that can help me set this up?  I did set it as public but I am still having permissions problem as I pointed out above.  It seems that the only thing that works would be to give ownership of 'my' work space to the build manager account.  I can't do that as then I lose my workspace
Thanks

Evan Hughes commented Nov 10 '14, 4:51 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'm not aware of any docs on configuring a personal build workspace. 

Andrea Toncelli commented Nov 11 '14, 8:18 a.m. | edited Nov 11 '14, 8:34 a.m.

Quite disappointing to hear that.  This is a well listed functionality but there is no documentation support on how to set it up.  What are we supposed to do to take advantage of this functionality?

Andrea Toncelli commented Nov 12 '14, 8:43 a.m. | edited Nov 12 '14, 8:43 a.m.

Hi Evan,

Would it be possible to have a list of steps that need to be done from the out of the box project to have a working personal build? I am sure IBM uses this internally as I have read articles from IBM developers encouraging people to use it. I am quite stuck at this point. 
Thanks

sam detweiler commented Nov 12 '14, 8:58 a.m. | edited Nov 12 '14, 10:16 a.m.

Andrea, you don't lose your workspace, you can search and find it again.

you should be able to make it public, or create a team area where you AND the build user share access.
I know we had to do this on one of our projects to enable personal build.

I looked around the doc on the actual steps, but they all just show checking the box, and selecting the personal workspace. None discuss the access rights requirements

Evan Hughes commented Nov 12 '14, 10:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'm not aware of internal docs on running personal builds. The public documentation is all there is. 

Could you answer my questions on your original query? That may help us get to the bottom of this. 

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

permanent link
Dorian Daumiller (3612) | answered Jun 22 '15, 5:28 p.m.
edited Jun 22 '15, 5:30 p.m.
Even though this is an old thread:

When submitting a personal build (with the "personal build" checkbox activated), user selects one of his own repository workspaces that satisfies the following one criterium:

1. The build user needs read access to that workspace. In contrast to a "normal" build it won't accept any changes so it doesn't have to alter the content of the workspace and thus it doesn't have to be the owner of it.

That's it.
If you think you need to edit the build definition in order for this to work, you're mistaken.

How do I make sure the build user has read access:
- Visibility of my workspace is set to either public or project scoped (to a project area that the build user also is a member of).

Just in case anyone stumbles over this...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.