It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Estimation of the size the the redo log Oracle during the migration process from CLM 3.0.1 to CLM 4.0.7

ARMAND ANGLADE (12159) | asked Nov 07 '14, 8:24 a.m.
Hi,
Does anyone here can give us an estimate of the size of the redo log generated during the process of migration from CLM 3.0.1 to CLM 4.0.7 ?
I would like just an approximate to help system team to know if they will need to extend the disk that hosts the redo log before executing again the migration.
The last time, the process of migration was run, it failed as it generated more than 5 GB of redo logs.
I would be grateful if you can respond today, as the new migration will be run this week-end.
Thanks
Armand Anglade

Accepted answer

permanent link
Grazielle Codogno (1536) | answered Nov 10 '14, 5:54 p.m.
Armand,

The size of redo log is fixed when you create the database. You can alter it depending of your needs after the creation you can alter it  using the ALTER DATABASE commands. Also after Oracle 10g to help you decide in a good size for your environment you can set up the REDO LOG SIZE ADVISOR at database.

So, the redo log size matters because  if it's too small you've more log switches and make your Oracle server background processes work more if it's too large, you risk to lose data between the time of log switches.

The size of "archives logs" are depending of the redo log and then again the archived Logs generated by the are depending the amount of data you've to migrate. So I believe in this case you mean Archive logs, because those are generated frequently and can fill up the disk.

Also, My recommendation is when you've a migration going on, switch the archive log destination to a large and full disk, because during migrations if archives are filled up very fast.
Since you've logs being created faster and smaller, you can move them to another area or backup on tape also.

More info how To work on redo log : https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/onlineredo.htm
More info on archive location :http://www.oracle.com/ocom/groups/public/@otn/documents/webcontent/283256.htm

ARMAND ANGLADE selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
ARMAND ANGLADE commented Nov 11 '14, 4:19 a.m.

Thanks Grazielle for this outstanding answer. We will follow your recommendation.

One other answer

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Nov 10 '14, 8:03 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Armand,

The CLM product documentation does not make a recommendation on the require disk space.  However, your Oracle DBA may be able to make a projection based on the current CLM repository size (see https://jazz.net/forum/questions/111357/how-to-check-which-tables-are-using-the-most-space).

Comments
ARMAND ANGLADE commented Nov 11 '14, 4:17 a.m.

Thanks a lot Paul.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.