It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Prevent creator from automatically being added as a subscriber

Brett Waldo (1101521) | asked Nov 06 '14, 10:45 a.m.
I would like to disable the feature that the creator of an work item is automatically added a subscriber. It seems like RTC has email configuration options to subscribe to work items that you create/own/subscribe to. But since the creator is automatically subscribed you have to either get 0 emails or all emails. 

RTC v5.0.1

I searched quite a bit assuming this has been answered but find a lot of similar results but not quite this.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 06 '14, 11:34 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Nov 06 '14, 11:35 a.m.
I think there is nothing built in. In a typical use case the creator e.g. the person submitting the request would probably want to subscribe.

It might be possible to create a follow up action/participant that removes the creator as subscriber after the initial save. This is actually really likely possible and most of the code required is on https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/ .

Comments
Brett Waldo commented Nov 06 '14, 3:00 p.m.

Ralph,

Appreciate the quick response. I agree "A" use would be the creator wants to be the subscriber (typical for online projects) .  Another typical use would be they don't. In a typical program, the creator of a ticket does not care about the ticket. This would be true for most traditional programs. 

In either case, its seems like a bug. The creator can choose to subscribe to emails. The subscriber can choose to subscribe to emails. If the creator is always a subscriber, there is no use in the options to configure emails for a creator.  

I do appreciate the link, I'll give that a read. 

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 06 '14, 11:39 p.m.

It's not a bug (since it is working as designed), but you can certainly request an enhancement.   There is of course a simple workaround ... just have the creator delete themselves as a subscriber after they create the work item.

Brett Waldo commented Nov 11 '14, 8:15 p.m.

I would have to disagree its working as designed. The design appears to have the ability to configure emails based on three categories.  There are HCIs to support this, and web articles describing it. The implementation only allows two.  If the system did not automatically subscribe you there would be no loss of functionality, only improved email filtering, uses wouldn't even know it changed with the default settings..   I agree with you the defect has a standard priority/severity classification of "3", which means there is a workaround, but still a defect.  But its such an easy fix (much easier then the workaround when applied to the 3000 workitems we wrote this month), you would think IBM would jump at actually fixing a defect so they could claim resolution.

In either case, I created a ticket @

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 12 '14, 3:00 a.m. | edited Nov 12 '14, 3:01 a.m.

It is working as designed. This works this way since RTC 1.0 beta by the way.

That you disagree with the design is an entirely different matter.  It is valid to state your disagreement in an enhancement request though.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.