It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Custom Attributes

Sean Perry (1643) | asked May 12 '09, 3:52 p.m.
We have been trying to create some custom attributes and have run into the following problems.

1) We want to add the same custom attribute to different types of work items. We want to use the same name for the attibute, for example "Defect" for a CMVC defect number. In several places all of those new attributes appear in a selection list. For example, in the editor presentation view, you see multiple "Defect". You need to select the one that matches the type the editor presentation is designed for. They are all printed as "Defect". It would be nice if the list had "Story.Defect" or "Task.Defect".
2) The editor presentation always prints the name of the attribute. This fact and the previous problem combine to cause a very unprofessional editor. We could live with the first issue if we could control the name of the field printed in the editor.
3) This is the most urgent. How do you get rid of attributes you aren't using? If you delete the attribute from the type it still shows up in the various lists of attributes.

Thanks

7 answers

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 15 '09, 4:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
No, the 'Label' attribute is only available in 2.0.

Removing attributes from existing work items is not possible. However you can hide it from the presentations.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Sean Perry (1643) | answered May 14 '09, 12:38 p.m.
Hi
Talking about RTC 2.0 here:
1) You can create a custom attribute in one type category and then reuse it for other type categories (the 'add attribute' dialog has a 'reuse' section). That way you do not need to create an attribute for every type category (as long as you want the same attribute type and name). I also think that e.g. in Editor Presentations equally-named attributes are now annotated with their ID.
2) There is an attribute 'Label' that can be set on every presentation.
3) Removing the attribute from the type is the first step. Existing work items having that attribute will keep it. The editor presentations dialog per default only shows attributes that are still configured on the type. Your removed attribute will only show up if you use the filter drop-down to 'include archived attributes'.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

Is the 'Label' attribute supported in 1.0.1? I tried it and it didn't work.

Can you expand on removing attribute. How do you update the existing work items so they don't have the attribute?

Thanks

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 14 '09, 6:55 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
No this is not possible.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Milan Krivic (98010172140) | answered May 14 '09, 6:46 a.m.
Hi
There are two things here: Custom attributes of type duration (e.g. for Time Spent) are not supported (they appeared in the supported list in M3D1 or so by accident, but are removed again in the meantime).
The reason why the time spent (and the team area presentation ) presentations do not respect the label is that for:
- Time Spent: the label id determined by the setting in the process spec whether it is time spent or time remaining
- Team Area: depending on whether a team area can be computed, the label is Team Area or Project Area

One more thing, the web/UI does not support the label up to I think 2.0RC1.

Reference:
Enhancement 70998: Make the label used in attribute presentations configurable, https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/70998

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

I saw enhancement 70998.
One more thing. Is there possibility to set default value for our own attribute? For example, If I make one attribute called Comments-type small HTML, can I put some default value in text box(as a some kind of better orientation for new users who should create work items)

Regards,

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 14 '09, 5:07 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
There are two things here: Custom attributes of type duration (e.g. for Time Spent) are not supported (they appeared in the supported list in M3D1 or so by accident, but are removed again in the meantime).
The reason why the time spent (and the team area presentation ) presentations do not respect the label is that for:
- Time Spent: the label id determined by the setting in the process spec whether it is time spent or time remaining
- Team Area: depending on whether a team area can be computed, the label is Team Area or Project Area

One more thing, the web/UI does not support the label up to I think 2.0RC1.

Reference:
Enhancement 70998: Make the label used in attribute presentations configurable, https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/70998

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Milan Krivic (98010172140) | answered May 14 '09, 4:56 a.m.
Hi
1) You can create a custom attribute in one type category and then reuse it for other type categories (the 'add attribute' dialog has a 'reuse' section). That way you do not need to create an attribute for every type category (as long as you want the same attribute type and name). I also think that e.g. in Editor Presentations equally-named attributes are now annotated with their ID.
3) Removing the attribute from the type is the first step. Existing work items having that attribute will keep it. The editor presentations dialog per default only shows attributes that are still configured on the type. Your removed attribute will only show up if you use the filter drop-down to 'include archived attributes'.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

Hi,

I installed Rational Team Concert 2.0 M3D1. I succeeded to customize all of existing attributes in work items on my way (adding the label), but one attribute TIME SPENT didn't applied the label!
Is this some kind of bug or? I tried adding separate attribute for TIME SPENT, but same thing again!

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 13 '09, 2:55 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.