It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How many literals can be included in an enumeration in RTC?

Ash McLaren (611) | asked Oct 29 '14, 7:52 p.m.

We are using RTC to track devices which are not defects. i.e. A device is given to someone to test and is assigned to them in the owner field. When they are finished it is checked in to "Storage". Each device type has multiple devices which are indiviidually numbered. SOme device types have 15-20 individual devices.

We formerly used ALM and when we imported to CLM, we had to use "free text" for the device model but we able to use the "device Number" ok.

We want to change this to an enumeration list so that the devices are searchable by device type in a query. As we have 362 different device types, and growing, I want to know if it is actually possible.

The current way we cope is by using the Device Number in the summary field and search using the free text search for the device type/model. This displays the specific device number of that device type in the default view so it's workable, but ugly.  

We are using 4.0.5

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 30 '14, 4:34 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 30 '14, 4:35 a.m.
I am not convinced that using Enumerations would be the way to go. Here some approaches you could think about from my perspective.

1. Using a string attribute with a HTTP Filtered Value set. See https://jazz.net/library/article/1093 Lab 4 for how that works. Pro: You can manage the device information in an XML. Con: Users can still type thing sin manually.
2. Create a special work item type "Device". Use an attribute of type item/work item to allow users to select the Device.
3. Use a relationship - potentially custom and use a reference presentation to show/create the related device.

You could even have a device workflow (e.g. if devices go out of maintenance) with 2 and 3.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.