It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Prohibit deletion of important snapshots or find a way to recover deleted snapshots.

jay sander (122) | asked Oct 28 '14, 4:16 a.m.
We identified three alternative ways of how to restrict the ability to delete snapshots

1. Restriction via elaborate permission settings in PA/TAs
2. Restriction via a script which checks a certain patterns in the names of the snapshots. E.g. name contains the  word "release"...
3. Restriction via a script which checks the linkage between a snapshot and a release WI.
Unfortunately none of those methods are sufficient for us.

A.  But now the global configuration comes in. I would like to know whether it is possible to somehow use this to prevent the users from deleting important snapshots?

B. The other thing: there is a
article , which is saying: " Deleting a snapshot only disassociates the snapshot from the currently associated stream or workspace. The deleted snapshots are preserved in the repository." That means there should be a way to find this deleted snapshot and associate it to a stream again? Please let me know how to find the deleted snapshot.

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 31 '14, 12:30 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
On Question A: Global Configurations will not constrain the deletion of referenced configurations from a given Configuration Provider (such as RTC-SCM).   Instead, the reference from the global configuration will "dangle" when the referenced configuration is deleted.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 28 '14, 9:39 a.m.
edited Oct 28 '14, 9:40 a.m.
You can restrict deleting snapshots in the permissions. You could allow users to change the snapshot owner to a "garbage stream" and users with special permission delete the snapshots.

In the Eclipse Client there is a capability to search for snapshots and other SCM content. Go to Search>Jazz Source control to use it. There are several parameters such as creator, name etc, you could use.

Comments
jay sander commented Oct 30 '14, 6:57 a.m. | edited Oct 30 '14, 6:58 a.m.

Thanks for the fast answer, but I would have maybe also an answer to following questions:

Question A: how to make deletion of Snapshots & Streams depends on the upcoming Global Configurations (GC)

Question B: if the Snapshot is deleted (also disassociated from the Stream), there should be a possibility to find it again (as described in the link), but if I try to search for the deleted SS, then it is no more findable.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 30 '14, 7:07 a.m.

A: I can't comment on upcoming/planned functionality. However, my assumption is that his will refer to the baselines and not the snapshots. A snapshot is just a convenient way to mark and group the baselines it contains. It creates a baseline if a component is in a state that is not selected by a baseline. It uses the existing baseline if it exists and only creates a new one if you enforce it.

B: If you delete a snapshot it is gone and no longer exists. Searching would not help. Searching would only help if the snapshot has a new owner and you don't know which. What will still remain are the baselines that the snapshot selected. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.