It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] Search for a file in source code repository

Gaurav Tapadkar (2713) | asked Oct 24 '14, 10:01 a.m.
closed Jun 20 '23, 9:44 a.m. by David Honey (1.8k17)
I am looking for a way to search for a particular file in RTC source code which can exist in any of the multiple projects in our repository. I want to search it without downloading source code on my local. We have multiple projects and each projects have multiple components. 

Comments
nicolas gueit commented Jun 20 '23, 7:45 a.m. | edited Jun 20 '23, 9:42 a.m.

Hi,

These request is pretty old, but I still have the same need.
Does anyone know if there is since then a new way to find a file based on its name ? (which project area / stream / component)
Regards,
Nicolas

David Honey commented Jun 20 '23, 9:44 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Nicolas, please don't post your own questions as answers to someone else's question, especially one that was posted almost 9 years ago. I have converted your post to a comment. But if you want to [re]ask a question, please post your own question.

The question has been closed for the following reason: "Problem is not reproducible or outdated" by davidhoney Jun 20 '23, 9:44 a.m.

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 24 '14, 10:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
From the Eclipse client, you can use the "Search -> Jazz_Source_Control -> Change_Sets" command.
That lets you search the entire repository or just a particular component, and lets you specify various properties of the file (such as filename prefix, when it was created, who created it).   It does not provide "content-based search" (e.g., find all files that contain the string "abc").

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Oct 24 '14, 10:34 a.m.
I don't think there is a 'file' search feature, and certainly not across multiple projects concurrently.

you could take the stream dump code I wrote for that permissions problem we had on the conversion and turn it into a search tool..  the code was on the shared drive

get all streams, loop thru stream looking for file
this will not be 'fast'

Comments
Gaurav Tapadkar commented Oct 24 '14, 4:30 p.m. | edited Oct 25 '14, 12:11 p.m.

Thanks Sam and Geoffrey for your replies. 

Sam, I will check the stream dump and will try to get a search tool. 

Geoffrey, yes this feature works but not with the regular expression pattern. 

It shows list of change sets which have a file name begins with entered text. And then you have to open each folder in change set to look for a particular file. I could not find a way to search by other criteria like contain the string etc.