It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Story and Epic Overview tabs are empty in Eclipse

Darren Kennedy (1312) | asked Oct 15 '14, 3:45 p.m.
Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers 4.4.0.20140612-0500
Rational Team Concert Client Feature 4.1.100.RTC-I20130222-1633

When viewing stories or epics in Eclipse the Overview tab is blank. All other tabs display correctly. For tasks, all tabs including the Overview tab display correctly.

The webpages for the same stories or epics all display the Overview tab correctly.

Comments
Lily Wang commented Oct 16 '14, 9:20 p.m.

Hi Darren,

Is the problem happened for all project areas?
Have you made any customization for the Story or Epic work item type in the project area?

Kevin Ford commented Oct 29 '14, 12:20 p.m.

I am having the same problem.  Yes we have customized the Story work item.  I do not know what customizations we have made but if your question required specific customizations, instead of just whether or not it was customized, I can find out from our admin.

Eclipse Standard/SDK
Version: Luna Release (4.4.0)
Build id: 20140612-0600

Rational Team Concert Client Feature    4.2.100.RTC-I20130517-1856

Kevin Ramer commented Dec 31 '14, 3:51 p.m.

I  had something like this recently.  Check the presentation for "empty" sections.

John Kohl commented Mar 13 '15, 11:44 a.m.

Yeah, hitting the same thing :-(
Eclipse Platform

Version: 4.4.0.v20140925-0400
Build id: M20140925-0400

Rational Team Concert

Version: 5.0
Build id: RTC-I20140509-1417

Accepted answer

permanent link
Philippe Gregoire (263) | answered May 20 '15, 6:43 a.m.
Since I switched from Juno to Luna, with the exact same Project Area configurations I now hit the issue, on all Project Areas, Overview Tab is coming out grey for Epic and Story. (which are using an out of the box layout for the Overview tab, although we do have extra attributes).

I finally found out that the offending item are the Progress atttributes, e.g.:
<presentation attributeId="com.ibm.team.apt.attribute.progress" kind="com.ibm.team.apt.kind.internal.progress"/>
If I remove them from the list of attributes in the Details section, the overview page comes out OK.

I think it's more of a defect than a feature, the log shows a ClassNotFound exception originating from the rtc script engine, on an internal class (org/eclipse/osgi/internal/baseadaptor/DefaultClassLoader) that has probably been removed in Luna.
Also, the bit of code that displays the tab content should come out gracefully when an exception is raised during processing of one of the items, i.e. display an error placeholder widget rather than blanking out the whole panel...

PhG

Darren Kennedy selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
John Kohl commented May 20 '15, 9:08 a.m.

Hurrah!  I confirm this report.  Commenting out that presentation line in  the     <section id="com.ibm.team.apt.section.details">
area fixes the story presentation, and commenting it out in the                 <section id="com.ibm.team.apt.section.epic.details">
area fixes the epic presentation.

Darren Kennedy commented May 20 '15, 12:03 p.m. | edited May 20 '15, 12:25 p.m.

Thank you!

What happens next? Does someone report this as a bug? I can do that if no-one has yet.

(I have no rep on here, appreciate if responders can click the upvote on the question.)

Philippe Gregoire commented May 21 '15, 9:38 a.m.

Well, it would be nice if you could report the bug.

Thanks!

PhG

5 other answers

permanent link
Lawrence Smith (3764) | answered Mar 13 '15, 7:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you customized to add more than one section per slot to the Editor presentations,  in Eclipse it may not display properly.

Lawrence Smith [IBM]

Comments
John Kohl commented Mar 14 '15, 11:52 a.m.

So what is the fix?  Is this an Eclipse bug or an RTC bug?  Which levels of Eclipse properly display the tabs?
I don't control the work item editor configuration, that's something our project area admins control.

permanent link
Lawrence Smith (3764) | answered Mar 14 '15, 2:46 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The Project Area is considered to be misconfigured if the layout has more than one section per slot.  The bug is that it allows to have more than one section per slot and it works in the web.  This should be disallowed but works.  The workaround is to use additional tabs or other layouts.  There is an RFE to allow more than one section per slot in Eclipse.

If this is the problem you are seeing then the workaround would be to contact the project area admins and advise them that the layout does not work properly in Eclipse.

Lawrence Smith [IBM]

Comments
John Kohl commented Mar 16 '15, 9:38 a.m.

Is the limit one section per slot per tab, or one section per slot for the entire editor presentation?  I'm looking at the definition of this work item type's presentation, and see the same slot used in two different tabs, but the tab that fails to display is another slot, one that doesn't have a duplicate section/slot pairing.

Lawrence Smith commented Mar 16 '15, 5:02 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The limit is one section per slot per tab. 

I tried the following:

1) Two sections in one slot... only one section is shown in Eclipse. Expected.
2) One section on tab one, another section with same items on tab two. OK.
3) New Tab with H-Layout and one section in the Top and another section in the Bottom, it is always blank in Eclipse.  One section or the other works OK. Both work OK in the Web.  This looks like a potential bug.
4) New Tab with H-Layout and one section in the Right or Left and another section in the Top or Bottom. OK.
5) New Tab with H-Layout and one section in the Top and another section in the Bottom, it is always blank in Eclipse. One section Left. OK.

So Top+Bottom looks broken in H-Layout for Eclipse. The workaround is to use Left + Bottom or some other combination.

permanent link
Nick Kanellos (11) | answered May 01 '15, 1:54 p.m.
This is showing up for me, too, on Eclipse Luna with RTC 4.0.4.  But It's not happening against the same repository and project area with Eclipse Juno and RTC 4.0.3.

What can be done? 

permanent link
Durgadas Kamath (111) | answered May 31 '15, 1:00 p.m.
I am also facing the same when i use RTC with Luna. What's the solution ?
Is it something to do with eclipse configuration or RTC configuration ?

permanent link
Philippe Gregoire (263) | answered Jun 01 '15, 3:50 a.m.
edited Jun 01 '15, 3:56 a.m.
The issue is that somehow, the <presentation> tags with kind="com.ibm.team.apt.kind.internal.progress" do not work in Luna and break the layout of the tabs that have it in their layout.

The quick fix is to remove those tags <presentation kind="com.ibm.team.apt.kind.internal.progress"...> in the Project Area configuration's, Project Configuration Source tab.
Make sure you backup the config before.

In practice, you will want to do that in the story and epic details section, and remove the two lines: 
<presentation attributeId="com.ibm.team.apt.attribute.progress" kind="com.ibm.team.apt.kind.internal.progress"/>

See John's comment on the accepted answer above
Philippe

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.