It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

jbe (Jazz Build Engine) on 64 bit Debian Wheezy is not executable. Any suggestions why?

Christopher Smith (1825) | asked Oct 13 '14, 4:07 p.m.
 I have installed RTC 5.0.1 on a 64 bit Debian Wheezy virtual machine.  It appears to run fine.

I have tried installing the Build System Toolkit, both from Installation Manager and just unzipping the archive.

Trying to execute jbe just returns an error

root@rtc-server:/opt/IBM/TeamConcertBuild/buildsystem/buildengine/eclipse# jbe
-bash: jbe: command not found

Executing jbe.sh works

As per the readme, I'm using the IBM JDK that comes with the 64 bit Eclipse Client.

While I guess I can use jbe.sh,  why is jbe not executable?  I want to be as standard and default as practical.  I'd like to use jbe to launch.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Spencer Murata (2.3k115971) | answered Oct 13 '14, 4:26 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 There is no problem using jbe.sh over the binary.  You can try ./jbe and verify that you are using the 64bit toolkit, but otherwise I don't know why it wouldn't be able to run the jbe binary directly.

~Spencer
Christopher Smith selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Christopher Smith commented Oct 13 '14, 4:29 p.m.

root@rtc-server:/opt/IBM/TeamConcertBuild/buildsystem/buildengine/eclipse# ls -l

total 380
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 Oct 13 12:02 about_files
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    577 Aug  5 15:39 about.html
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 Oct 13 12:02 configuration
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  63001 Aug  5 15:39 jbe
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    198 Oct 13 12:02 jbe.ini
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    899 Aug  7 03:34 jbe.sh
drwxr-xr-x  7 root root   4096 Oct 13 12:07 jdk
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 266168 Aug  5 15:39 libcairo-swt.so
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root  32768 Oct 13 12:02 plugins
root@rtc-server:/opt/IBM/TeamConcertBuild/buildsystem/buildengine/eclipse# ./jbe
-bash: ./jbe: No such file or directory
root@rtc-server:/opt/IBM/TeamConcertBuild/buildsystem/buildengine/eclipse#

Kevin Ramer commented Oct 13 '14, 4:34 p.m. | edited Oct 13 '14, 4:35 p.m.

You can also use "file jbe" command.  If it says something that doesn't relate to your platform ( e.g.  Solaris or something else ) you probably have the wrong package for your platform.

e.g.:

file /JBE/jazz/buildsystem/buildengine/eclipse/jbe
/JBE/jazz/buildsystem/buildengine/eclipse/jbe: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, not stripped

Donald Nong commented Oct 13 '14, 8:40 p.m.

You may also use "ldd" command to see whether the required libraries can be linked, and "strace" command to see what files that program needs to open in order to execute.

One other answer

permanent link
Christopher Smith (1825) | answered Oct 14 '14, 11:14 a.m.
 root@rtc-server:~# file /opt/IBM/TeamConcertBuild/buildsystem/buildengine/eclipse/jbe
/opt/IBM/TeamConcertBuild/buildsystem/buildengine/eclipse/jbe: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, not stripped
root@rtc-server:~#

So, it is a 32 bit executable.  I guess I need to install a 32 bit execution environment or stick with jbe.sh

I think jbe.sh is looking like the best option.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.