It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Merging 2 stream having same named component with different UUID

Dhruv Bansal (171315) | asked Oct 13 '14, 5:19 a.m.
Is there any way to merge 2 stream in RTC having same named component with different UUID.

There are 2 different streams having same folder structure and same component name,but the component UUID are different.

so while doing the merge it is showing new compent add in the unresolved changes instead of the files which is logically correct because it is recognizing it as different component.

Any way to do the merging>

Thanks
Dhruv

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 13 '14, 6:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Dhruv,

in RTC the name of a component is not the key. The UUID is. If you have two components with the same name but different UUID's they are actually two different things. So the SCM system sees two different components and you can not merge them.

You can set an advanced property to allow only unique component names to prevent this from happening.

I am not sure if there is a simple way of merging the data. The problem would start with loading the components on disk, because the have overlapping folder structures.
Dhruv Bansal selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Arun K Sriramaiah (3.2k13177) | answered Oct 13 '14, 6:51 a.m.

Hi Dhruv,

Merging should happen on the RWS level not on the streams.

1) Create a new RWS or use the existing RWS.

2) When you open a repo workspace, you have a section called "Flow targets", which contains by your Stream1 characterized as "Default").

3) Add to it the Stream source (the Stream from which you want to merge : Stream 2), set it as "current", and you will see in your "Pending changes" view an "Incoming" section with all the change sets or baselines coming from that source Stream1.

4) The idea is for you to accept those change set, and it will create a new Unresloved folder and modify the confilict changes accordingly ( merge)

5) Open RWS Change the flow target Stream status ( Stream1 ) and then deliver them back to your "default" stream.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Regards,

Arun.

Comments
Arun K Sriramaiah commented Oct 13 '14, 6:52 a.m.

Yes, I do agree with Ralph, my above answer is for common Component between two streams.

Dhruv Bansal commented Oct 13 '14, 7:08 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Even my observation is same and it seems impossible to merge same named component with different UUID.

Thanks
Dhruv

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 13 '14, 7:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You can try to create a repository workspace with both components. Then you can show the repository files. For both components. You can select two files and compare them. This would at least provide you with the differences. You would have to bring them over manually, I think.

I am not experienced enough what would happen if you moved the files in the repository from one component to the other.

Arun K Sriramaiah commented Oct 13 '14, 7:45 a.m.

Major points: A change set is associated with a particular component. You can move files from one component to another, but you cannot apply change sets that are created in one component to another component.

If you have multiple streams and you are working in parallel on a set of components, avoid moving files from one of those components to another, unless you must perform a one-time move where all streams accept the move at once (so no team is creating change-sets for a file in the original component while other teams are creating change-sets for that file in a different component).

To avoid the move issue, add all the related projects (between which you might want to move files) together in one component.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.