It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Workitem Save

David Weber (761810) | asked May 07 '09, 4:26 p.m.
Is it possible to intercept a Workitem Save operation, and display a "Do you want to save... Yes, No, Cancel" popup? "Yes" would continue the Save operation. "No" would terminate the Save operation. "Cancel" would do nothing and leave the user with unsaved changes on their UI.

I want this to be conditional based on some logic... for example, if I detect a attribute in the workitem to be a 'invalid' value, I would tell the user... and the user could choose to override my message and save anyway.

Thanks,

Dave

6 answers

permanent link
Andre Weinand (4811) | answered Jun 30 '09, 7:10 a.m.
Yes, your summary is correct: the Advisor Web UI is basically an error
dialog without any means of interaction.
I suggest to file an enhancement request against Process.

--andre weinand
RTC Work Item Team

On 2009-05-11 23:47:57 +0200, deweber@us.ibm-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(deweber) said:

ok... so let's summarize... tell me if this is correct:

I want to intercept the Work Item Save operation, which is a server
operation. Therefore, my precondition must also be a server
precondition.

For a user with the Eclipse client, I could throw an error message
from this precondition to the Team Advisor that the user can
override.

For a user with the Web client, there is no solution.

Correct?

Thanks,

Dave

permanent link
David Weber (761810) | answered May 11 '09, 5:46 p.m.
ok... so let's summarize... tell me if this is correct:

I want to intercept the Work Item Save operation, which is a server operation. Therefore, my precondition must also be a server precondition.

For a user with the Eclipse client, I could throw an error message from this precondition to the Team Advisor that the user can override.

For a user with the Web client, there is no solution.

Correct?

Thanks,

Dave

permanent link
Scott Rich (57136) | answered May 11 '09, 5:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
For a client-side pre-condition, you can use Eclipse API to present a message or prompt, or other UI. You need to be careful to keep the UI responsive, but this is a reasonable option. Obviously this pre-condition couldn't be used on the server.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Scott Rich
Jazz Team

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 11 '09, 10:05 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
With the precondition, you can cancel the save on the server and the Team Advisor will show your message on the client. Then the user can override the condition if desired and save again.
But I think there is no Team Advisor in the Web/UI.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
David Weber (761810) | answered May 11 '09, 9:48 a.m.
I am familiar with preconditions and follow-up actions for Work Item Save. They run on the server. I don't see how to bring up a 'are you sure... Y/N/Cancel' box from a server precondition. The API doesn't appear to support it. And this must work with both the Eclipse and Web client.

Can you elaborate on the approach? Or point to some existing code that has this functionality that we can review? Or perhaps this is not possible... if that is the case, we need to know that.

Thanks,

Dave

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 11 '09, 3:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
Maybe you could use an IOperationAdvisor for that? More info available from: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/PreconditionFollowupCreation.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.