It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Common component name for different streams

Ashok Sharma (3211118) | asked Sep 18 '14, 2:07 a.m.
 Hi All,
I know that we should use for streams with different source code, but just wanted to check once that can we have common component name for completely different streams.

In my case i have many small tools streams which are independent. In this case creating common component will be good choice or separate component for each stream.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 18 '14, 3:06 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please see: https://jazz.net/library/article/126

In addition, a component can be used by many streams. So you can have a common component with code that is shared, and use it in multiple streams. Which version of code the streams see, depneds on which baseline for the component you pick.

Comments
Ashok Sharma commented Sep 18 '14, 3:17 a.m. | edited Sep 18 '14, 3:30 a.m.

Thanks Ralph,
Actually in my case its not common code. Every stream has its own code. But streams are very small and no of streams is very high so creating separate component will increase component count. So i was wondering if i create one component only and use it for all tools stream will cause any problem. Since i will be creating stream from separate workspace so in case of same path for a file with same name will be treated differently. 

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 18 '14, 3:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Ashok, please comment in case you want to comment answers.

A component identifies the projects/folders files contained. You will see all the data you put into the component and the users will need to know which data to use. So from my perspective I would not suggest to do that.

The component only looks at the relative path of a file/folder. So if you have two workspaces with files with the same relative name and path (from their position in the workspace), they will be treated as one file.

So my answer would be: don't do that. Create the necessary components. If two components are supposed to contain different data, make them different.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.