It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the unlabeled percent value on a plan's progress bar?

Greg Pflaum (67913) | asked Sep 11 '14, 10:06 p.m.
edited Sep 11 '14, 10:55 p.m.
The progress bar on a Plans page and on the Team Details section of a team dashboard shows an unlabeled percentage at the right end of the progress bar. What does that represent? It isn't the percent estimated, which is labeled "Estimated:" on the progress bar in the Plan Details section of a plan. I don't see any combination of values in a plan that comes out to the percentage shown. It doesn't correspond to the height or the length of the progress bar.

I was unable to add images to this question, so here's my attempt at showing a progress bar with text. The # characters indicate the dark green section of the bar, the '=' characters indicating light green, and the remainder of the bar white. It is the 85% figure that I'm asking about.

[#######==                         ]
175.75/428.75hrs                    85%

This text shows in the popup when you hover over the progress bar:

Progress Report
Hours Done: 175.75 of 428.75 (41%)
Expected Hours: 134 (Ahead by 41.75hrs)
Items with 'Hours': 97%
Items Completed: 36 of 149 (24%)

Those are actual values from one of our plans, RTC 4.0.7. That progress bar appears in the Team Details section of the team dashboard, and on the Plans page where all plans are listed. The same progress bar appears in Plan Details section at the top of the plan, but instead of the unlabeled 85% it shows "Estimated: 97%".

Thanks,
Greg

2 answers

permanent link
Greg Pflaum (67913) | answered Sep 14 '14, 9:54 p.m.
edited Sep 14 '14, 9:59 p.m.
I figured out how the value is calculated. Ralph, you are right that it is related to estimates, but the formula is bad and the displayed value is close to useless.

Here's an example. In a plan with 10 work items, two are stories, and both have complexity (story point) estimates. Eight are Tasks, and all eight have work hours estimates. The two progress bars in the Plan Details section at the top of the iteration plan both show, correctly, "Estimated: 100%". (One bar shows story point progress, the other shows work hours progress.)

The unlabeled percentage displayed next to that plan's progress bar on a Plans page (e.g. All Plans, or Current Plans) is calculated in this way:
1. Find the percentage of plan items which have complexity estimates. Example: 2 / 2 = 100%
2. Find the percentage of all items in the plan which have hours estimates. Example: 8 / 10 = 80%
3. Add those two percentages and divide by two: (100% + 80%) / = 90%

So, although all items in the plan have either a complexity estimates or a work hours estimate, the value next to the progress bar shows 90%.

I also found a defect for it: 254858: Progress bar calculations in All Plans page not consistent with progress bars on the individual plan

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 12 '14, 4:06 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
That percentage, I believe, tells you how many work items in that plan/plan category actually have been estimated and corresponds with the vertical fill height of the bar. The fewer have been estimated, the less accurate the plan is.

See: https://jazz.net/library/article/586

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.