It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does RTC require me to have JazzAdmins privilege to import workitems by CSV?

Craig K (1848) | asked Sep 10 '14, 2:41 p.m.
edited Sep 10 '14, 4:02 p.m.
I am trying to import some work items using a CSV file. For a simple test, I'm only trying to import one item. The first line contains the attribute names and the second line is the data for the one work item. The first field is the "Id" attribute and it is for an existing work item in the project area (I get an error if I try to update a work item not owned by the project area). I am not specifying a custom mappings file since the first line of the CSV file contains the attributes.

After chugging away for a bit (why is such a simple/small import so slow?), it comes back with the error:

Could not update work item from test.csv (Line 2)
User "test" does not have the required permission to perform this operation. The "JazzAdmins" role is required to perform this operation.

If I remove all the fields referring to Contributor type attributes, all I get is "Permission denied". I found some more information about this in the "Team Advisor" tab. It basically says I don't have permission to save a custom attribute. If I look in Permissions section of "Process Configuration" though, I can't see where I enable a permission to save a custom attribute.

Comments
Craig K commented Sep 10 '14, 3:14 p.m.

If I remove all the fields referring to Contributor type attributes, all I get is "Permission denied".

sam detweiler commented Sep 10 '14, 4:55 p.m.

I do not know the answer, but don't like it either.. I know there are risks..

I should be able to give project admins permission to import into their projects.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Sep 10 '14, 10:15 p.m.
You may need to check whether the import actually needs to create more than just a work item.
You must have at least a Contributor Client Access License (CAL). If creating work items involves creating categories, iterations, or releases, then you also need a Developer CAL. Within the project area where you import the work items, you must be assigned to a role that has permission to create these objects. If the import process creates Jazz user accounts to populate work item fields such as Creator and Owner, then you must have JazzAdmins repository group permissions.
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m6/topic/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_importing_work_items_csv_file.html
Rosa Naranjo selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Sep 11 '14, 3:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I just exported work items with a user with JazzUsers repository permissions and imported what I exported successfully.

The permission error only occurs if, in the process of importing, items have to be created and the user does not have the permission to do so. So Donald is right, check which items don't exist in your data (e.g. user). You could have a different user with sufficient repository permission create these items and a regular user can then import the data.

One other answer

permanent link
Madhan Babu (368) | answered Jan 01 '15, 4:35 a.m.
I encountered the same problem.
But when i had entered the user name (as it appears on RTC) instead of the user id (as in Company's active directory), it accepted the input and imported without the error message ""JazzAdmins" role is required to perform this operation."

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.