It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

"references" link type is only available between RRC instances but not within the same RRC instance

jeff thomas (542528) | asked Sep 08 '14, 12:44 p.m.
 Looks like "references" is the only link type that's available for requirements hosted by different RRC instances.  But this link type doesn't seem to be available between requirements hosted by the same RRC instance.  Just want to confirm this is true.  If so, the problem is that what link type to use between two types of requirements would depend on where the requirements are stored.  

Accepted answer

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Sep 10 '14, 10:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Jeff,

Since the documentation mentions that the Specifies and Elaborates link types are available to use between RRC projects, I believe this is a defect in the documentation, because as far as I know this should not be possible. If you open the web-link to "Specifies" or "Elaborates" provided within the CLM documentation, it will take you to the OSLC page where these link types are defined. For example, this is the page for the Specified By link type: http://open-services.net/ns/rm#specifiedBy. On this page, you will see that the description for this link type mentions, "Expresses a specification relationship between entities. For example, a model element can specify a requirement." While this description is a bit vague, it means that the Specifies link type is only intended for the integration between RRC (requirements) and Rational Focal Point (model elements). This means that you should not be able to use this link type between RRC projects.

As far as linking between RRC requirements, the intent is to use the References link type when linking across associated RRC project areas, and to use the internal link types ( e.g. Link To/From, Synonym, etc.) when linking between requirements which reside in the same project area.

I know this may not be the news you were looking for, but I hope it helps,
Mike Jaworski
jeff thomas selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
jeff thomas commented Sep 24 '14, 9:03 a.m.

Thank you very much for the confirmation and clarification!

One other answer

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623) | answered Sep 08 '14, 3:50 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The following infocenter topics may add some clarity to link types and requirements.

Links across OSLC domains -  According to this topic, there are other link types for describing relationships between a RM artifact and an external RM artifact (such as DOORS)

Link types in requirements projects

There are several OSLC link relationships that can be used between requirements in the same project, such as satisfies/satisfied by, constrains/constrained by, extraction, embeds.

Comments
jeff thomas commented Sep 08 '14, 5:00 p.m.

The documentation says "references", "elaborates" and "specifies" are the three link types available across rrc instances.  I can only see "references".  Is there anything special you need to do to turn on the other two types?  I'm using clm 5.0.  thanks!

Rosa Naranjo commented Sep 08 '14, 5:11 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Jeff
What is the target of the link you are trying to establish? Is it another RRC project or is it DOORS or something else?  Also, check your project associations. Link types are revealed only when certain project associations are established.  Have you created project associations with the target container for all possible requirement associations?
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.jazz.platform.doc/topics/t_adding_associations_web.html

jeff thomas commented Sep 08 '14, 7:52 p.m.

The target is another RRC project area.  And yes, I've created the association between the two project areas.  By the way, "elaborates" and "specifies" aren't even available within the same project area.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.