It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How Do I Escape an Apostrophe in a REST API Query?

Nate Decker (37814261) | asked Sep 04 '14, 10:46 a.m.

I am trying to write a REST API query that looks like this:

https://<server>:<port>/ccm/rpt/workitem?fields=workitem[projectArea/name="Nate's Sandbox Area"]/*

If the project area name does not have an apostrophe in it, this works fine. As soon as I put the apostrophe in there, I get zero results. The page doesn't display an error or complain about a badly formatted request, I just get a page with zero results.

How do I correctly escape an apostrophe in this scenario?

Comments
Donald Nong commented Sep 04 '14, 9:48 p.m.

I have done some debugging and it appears that the application cannot handle the apostrophe sign in a query correctly - the term becomes an empty string when it is passed to the server. I suggest you open a support ticket to get it investigated further.

One answer

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Sep 04 '14, 11:51 a.m.
Well, as you don't mention what you have tried, I don't think encoding will help.   You might try doubling the single quote:

[projectArea/name="Nate''s Sandbox Area"]

Comments
Nate Decker commented Sep 04 '14, 12:31 p.m.

Unfortunately I tried that as well. I could list all the things that I tried for what it's worth:

"Nate's Sandbox Area"
(Nate's Sandbox Area)
<Nate's Sandbox Area>
<"Nate's Sandbox Area">
"Nate''s Sandbox Area"
"Nate\'s Sandbox Area"
"Nate%'%s Sandbox Area"
"Nate%27s Sandbox Area"

A few other permutations as well... I've decided the guess-and-check approach will be fruitless here.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.