It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to link a pre-requisite test case to a test for execution?

Mahesh Jayaramaiah (1636) | asked Sep 04 '14, 12:32 a.m.
edited Sep 04 '14, 12:32 a.m.

Hi,

There is option in HP QC where you can call the one  test  from another.The called Test case will be executed first and status of called test case will be updated in design step.

If you click on any test case , On the right hand side window select the design tests tab and  you will see an option call to test(Ctrl + L) . Here you can link another test case.

But where could I find the same option in RQM ?

2 answers

permanent link
Taly Hotimsky (2714557) | answered Sep 04 '14, 12:44 a.m.
 I'm not familiar with HPQC, but from your description I believe what you wish would be done in RQM by setting a Test Suite and indicating that tests within the Suite should be run sequentially.

Comments
Mahesh Jayaramaiah commented Sep 04 '14, 12:50 a.m.

ok but here my problem is i want to execute particular test case in between an step of another test case

Taly Hotimsky commented Sep 04 '14, 12:58 a.m.

I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.
Each Test Case (regardless of tool) should validate a behaviour and  ensure that behaviour is treated properly by the system. If you're referencing another Test in the middle of an execution, it seems to me that you'd be taking focus away from the behaviour you intended to verify on your original test.

For end-to-end testing, I'd use a Test Suite, like mentioned, and structure the Test Cases within the Suite to have a unique goal, each validating a portion of the solution to achieve the E2E.

For reusable steps (which maybe is what you're looking for) there's a feature in RQM called "Keywords" where you can reference a set of steps in multiple Test Scripts (which, in turn, are associated to the Test Cases).
If you're really looking to, as a step of a Test Case, reference another whole TC, I'm not sure that it's either wise (from a methodology perspective) nor that it could be done in RQM.

permanent link
Timo Reiss (209512) | answered Sep 04 '14, 3:04 a.m.
You can call test scripts using Keywords (reusable test script building blocks) within a test script. Otherwise, the consecutive execution of test cases can only be achieved via test suites as Taly already mentioned. Please note the distinction between test script and test case.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.