It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to preserve empty lines during requirements import from Word

Donat Hutter (2153239) | asked Sep 03 '14, 8:38 a.m.
When importing requirements from a Word document all empty lines or lines with only white space within one requirement (import with delimiter) are stripped off.
This is ok and desired in most cases. Can I enforce to keep an empty line?

One answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Sep 03 '14, 10:03 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
By design, each paragrah you import into RRC/RDNG becomes a seprately-managed artifact.
It doesn't make sense to have a bunch of blank artifacts, so blank paragraphs are stripped out.

I think there may be a way forward with some pre- and post-processing on your part:

You could add blank lines to the end of each prior artifacts in RRC/RDNG by doing the following:
  1. Search for double-returns in the Word doc, and replace them with some unique character string followed by a return, e.g., "$$@@##<p>"
  2. Import into RRC/RDNG
  3. In RRC/RDNG find & replace the special strings with a return [can you do this? I haven't tried]

Comments
Donat Hutter commented Sep 03 '14, 11:57 a.m.

a) Importing with the "Delimiter" option allows multiple formatted paragraphs to be considered one rich text artifact, where sometimes some additional line spacing is helpful for readability.

b) search and replace exists in a module. But I do not see an option to enter a line break (<br/>) in the "Replace with" box.

Conclusion: Where needed, I will put a simple dot on a line to enforce some space between paragraphs.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.