It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

can you please tell me the procedure for template change in rtc2.0

anuradha malhotra (846) | asked Sep 02 '14, 3:01 a.m.
edited Sep 02 '14, 3:28 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)
I need to do change an existing template can you tell me the steps.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Sep 02 '14, 3:27 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You might want to be more specific in what you need to do so that someone can answer.

anuradha malhotra commented Sep 02 '14, 5:01 a.m.

like i want to embeed the fuctionality of one existing template into another existing existing tempoltae.or want to add new faetures in existting template

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 02 '14, 6:42 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 02 '14, 6:46 a.m.
Hi Anuradha,

there is, as far as I am aware, no good way to "Merge" different templates in RTC today. Before i go into more details, I would like to clarify some of the terminology confusion around templates.

A template is really a set of files in a folder structure that describe a process. The template can be created from a project area or can be provided out of the box. The template is usually not modified by hand. In fact, you can not modify a template once it is uploaded to RTC. You can only upload  a new version.

Once you create a project from a template, the relevant data is copied over and there is no longer a relationship between the template and the project area (except the information which template was used when the project was created). Your modifications to the project area don't go back into the template.

If you modify the process of a project the modifications are stored in the project area. You can export the process to use it as a template, upload it to RTC and use it to create new project areas. If you modify the process, you don't really modify a template. You modify a life project areas definition.

So I assume you have two project areas based on different templates and want to bring some stuff over to the other project area.

There is no automated way to do this. The process is stored in XML and this even makes it hard to compare two processes for differences.

The best you can do is to look at one of the project areas, check which changes you did (e.g. in the history) and redo the changes in the other project area.

Newer versions of RTC provide process sharing which can make it easier to maintain a common process for multiple project areas.

Comments
anuradha malhotra commented Sep 02 '14, 10:25 a.m. | edited Sep 02 '14, 10:29 a.m.

ok. thanks Ralph for guidance. asĀ  i am new to this area.

if i need to modify the existing template then what steps i need to follw.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.