It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

BIRT report: 2x2 matrix

Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | asked Sep 01 '14, 7:35 a.m.
RTC4.0.5 used
There is a request to create a 2x2 matrix report such as:

Defect vs Severity
Defec Status           Sev1       Sev2    Sev3     Sev4
Open                         0               1         3           0
In Progress                1               2         1           2
Fixed                          0               3         2           1

I am thinking to use BIRT report for this purpose. When learning how to create BIRT report, many samples are like:

Defect Status    Count
Open                   4
In Progress          6
Fixed                   6

I am wondering whether I can achieve 2x2 matrix with BIRT. Does anyone have any example/guide of how to do that or reference doc I can check with in order to create the above report?
Please shed some lights on this. Thanks a lot.

One answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Sep 01 '14, 7:53 a.m.
Hi Don,
You can simply create new Cross tab report item to display the data in the way you want to.

Comments
Don Yang commented Sep 02 '14, 7:04 a.m.

Thanks Krzysztof for the info.
I am trying to use Cross tab report now, it seems the format is good for the need but I am still struggling to get the right table which could contains the status and severity and count  info when creating data set. It seems that cross tab report only accept one data set, but I can not find all the expected info from one table which is annoying. I may need to use join. If you have any table to suggest, please advise. thanks

Donald Nong commented Sep 03 '14, 12:57 a.m.

I think you need at least two tables, assuming you are working in the WORKITEMS_SNAPSHOT snapshot - WORKITEMS and SEVERITY, since the WORKITEMS table only contains the severity id, not literal name.
1. Add these two tables as data sets.
2. Add a joint data set by joining the above two data sets on SEVERITY_ID (WI_SEVERITY is the literal name).
3. Create a data cube with two groups - STATE_NAME and WI_SEVERITY, and a summary field WI_ID(count).
4. Drop group STATE_NAME to the row, WI_SEVERITY to the column and WI_ID(count) to the body, of the cross table.
Done.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.