It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Things I find counter-intuitive

Martin Bailey (6685) | asked Apr 30 '09, 5:56 p.m.
First of all - I like Jazz / RTC. It is a huge improvement on our current systems. We are going through the pain of migrating, but I am convinced that we have the right tool.

Most of Jazz / RTC is very intuitive - but, almost because of this there are a few things that grate.

For example;

1. You can create a work item and then create sub work items. If you drag the parent into an iteration plan, I would kind of expect all the sub tasks to travel with it. This is not how it works at all.

2.When you look at the planned items view when there is a parent item and some children, the progress bar is very confusing. The inter-relationship between the progress bar and the time remaining seems to depend on whether you have put time left against the parent or the children.

3. The whole idea of Development line->Iteration->Iteration plan is kind of hard to get your head around. I think maybe a change of name might make it clearer. The "Development Line" for example sounds almost like a source control concept whereas it is actually something to hang a process on.

4. The tree view under "plans" compounds this. It confuses nearly everyone who encounters it.

Anyone else have a different view ?

Thanks,
Martin.

5 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Apr 30 '09, 6:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
First of all - I like Jazz / RTC. It is a huge improvement on our current systems. We are going through the pain of migrating, but I am convinced that we have the right tool.

Most of Jazz / RTC is very intuitive - but, almost because of this there are a few things that grate.

For example;

1. You can create a work item and then create sub work items. If you drag the parent into an iteration plan, I would kind of expect all the sub tasks to travel with it. This is not how it works at all.

2.When you look at the planned items view when there is a parent item and some children, the progress bar is very confusing. The inter-relationship between the progress bar and the time remaining seems to depend on whether you have put time left against the parent or the children.

3. The whole idea of Development line->Iteration->Iteration plan is kind of hard to get your head around. I think maybe a change of name might make it clearer. The "Development Line" for example sounds almost like a source control concept whereas it is actually something to hang a process on.

4. The tree view under "plans" compounds this. It confuses nearly everyone who encounters it.

Anyone else have a different view ?

Thanks,
Martin.

Hi Martin

I personally agree on these. I suspect I have just got used to these things over time. Just my view...

I believe the term development line is dropped in 2.0 and replaced with the term "Line" (looking at 2.0 Beta 1)

Definitely raise points like this whenever they occur to you, and put in work items - this feedback is very important and valuable and definitely gets acted upon.

anthony

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Apr 30 '09, 8:19 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Think of the plan as very temporal, it's about what you are going to do given a timeline or iteration. Now although in some cases all child-work items move together, it's not always the case. Often you'll have stories or tasks which are decomposed into other tasks that span iterations.

However, I do think that this is a valid use-case, please open an enhancement request against the Agile Planning team describing the use case in details.

It's been renamed to "timeline" in RTC 2.0.

Any suggestion to making it better? One thing to consider is that there are a *lot* of plans, so there needs to be a grouping mechanism. Currently it's iteration based and I'm not sure what else would work given the large amount of plans. Maybe what is the most confusing, is the split between timelines and iterations in the same view?

permanent link
Martin Bailey (6685) | answered May 01 '09, 7:16 a.m.
I take your point about child work items happening in different iterations. I would have thought that if you had a parent with task A happening in iteration 1 and task B happening later - you would drag the task itself rather than the parent. I will raise an enhancement request.

"timeline" is much better.

I think the confusing thing is the structure of the treeview and the fact that things appear twice (once at the top of the tree, and then again when you drill down through the tree view lower down). Maybe it makes more sense when you have a lot more plans...

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 01 '09, 1:23 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Created work item 80953 for this (initially, I also found this confusing
.... I'm now used to it, but it would be good if we could do something
better here than "something you can get used to" :-).

Cheers,
Geoff

MartinBailey wrote:

I think the confusing thing is the structure of the treeview and the
fact that things appear twice (once at the top of the tree, and then
again when you drill down through the tree view lower down). Maybe it
makes more sense when you have a lot more plans...

permanent link
Erich Gamma (18687) | answered May 03 '09, 4:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
First of all - I like Jazz / RTC. It is a huge

There is a somewhat hidden feature to move a parent with its sub work items from one iteration to another one. The feature is currently only available in the eclipse client:
1) Open two iteration plans editor and arrange them that both of them are visible.
2) drag a parent work item, e.g., Story from one iteration plan to the other, this will retarget the sub item, e.g., tasks to this iteration.

There is a work item to make this operation easier discoverable:
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/78161

--erich
RTC PMC

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.