It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Query for "Closed tasks with Time Remaining"

Mike Shkolnik (9808161143) | asked Aug 13 '14, 8:12 p.m.
I would like to create a query that returns work items meeting the following criteria:

Type = Task
Planned For = Current Iteration
Status = Resolved
Time Remaining > 0

Unfortunately, I can find no way to specify that last item. Only TimeSpent is available. Is there some other way of doing this?

I was able to do:
"Estimate is not Unassigned" and "Time Spent is Unassigned"
This flags items that never had any Time Spent set. However it does not catch those that have SOME Time Spent, but some still remaining.

Comments
Donald Nong commented Aug 14 '14, 1:19 a.m.

By "Time Remaining", do you mean "Estimate - Time Spent"? While I cannot see a way to add a condition "Estimate > Time Spent" in the query, I think adding a custom attribute with its value being "Estimate - Time Spent" calculated automatically should fit the bill. The "Time Remaining" presentation has the "Time Spent" kind for the attribute "Time Spent" and does this calculation on the fly I believe.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 14 '14, 3:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As Donald correctly points out, RTC has only attributes for TimeSpent, Estimate and corrected estimate. It calculates time remaining from these vales in time remaining mode using the correction (if it is set) or the estimate and the time spent value to calculate the time remaining in that mode.

I think Donald's suggestion to add a custom attribute that is calculated from the values and represents the time remaining is probably the only way to be able to run this query, as there is no way to compare attribute values and use the result as a condition.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Aug 14 '14, 3:59 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Mike, on another thought, I know that other users have created tools, to make sure time remaining is set to 0 when a work item gets closed. I believe they have used JavaScript calculated value providers for that. It passes the original value and sets the value as needed when closing. This is also beneficial for reporting/planning and relieves you from the task to tidy up.

Mike Shkolnik commented Aug 14 '14, 12:38 p.m.

Where can I get the "auto zero time remaining on close" script from?

Also, if I go the calculated field route, does this require script as well or can a calculated attribute be created without javascript? The only examples I have found so far involve scripting.

Mike Shkolnik commented Aug 14 '14, 1:46 p.m.

Never mind on the auto-zero - it would not pass audit. Looks like I'll need to go the calculated field route.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.