It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does RTC Traditional Scheduler ignore ranking?

Robert Huet (23112884) | asked Aug 13 '14, 6:53 p.m.
edited Aug 14 '14, 5:36 p.m.
Articles on the traditional scheduler for RTC 4.0 (e.g. https://jazz.net/library/article/663) clearly state that the Rank attribute is used by the scheduler to determine start/end dates.  However, I cannot get this to work with the out-of-the-box Formal Project Management Template.  I added the Rank column to my Release plan and created several tasks that are all assigned to the same resource.  However, setting the Rank has no effect on the scheduler.

Is this a bug?  Should I submit a PMR?

Thanks,
Robert

Comments
Robert Huet commented Aug 14 '14, 9:47 a.m.

Here are my steps to reproduce:

- Instantiate a new project area with Formal Project Management Template

- Create a new Release Plan for Iteration Release 1.0

- Add three tasks to the release (Task 1, Task 2, Task 3)

- Enter 8 hour estimate for each task and assign all to same resource

- Edit the default plan view to add Rank column

- Enter rank for each task: 2,1,3

The expected result is that the Formal Scheduler would reorder the tasks according to rank (since the Priority is unassigned and no constraints have been added).  However, the system does not reorder the tasks.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 15 '14, 3:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The Article is not very precise on what the ranking does and how to use it.

As far as my experience goes, the scheduler itself does not use the rank for its calculations. You can rank tasks before they have all information to be scheduled. Then provide the necessary information to get them scheduled. They will then be ordered in the order you make them able to be scheduled.

You might want to consider to create an enhancement request.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.