It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC repository synchronization tool

Tojan John (1172476) | asked Aug 13 '14, 8:50 a.m.
 Hi,

We have two RTC repositories. Can we synchronize specific work items between two repositories at regular intervals using the Rational Team Concert Item connector?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 13 '14, 9:43 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Out of the box, the the only "client" of the RTC Item Connector system is ClearQuest.   I know of customers that have used the RTC Item Connector system to support other clients, but it is a significant amount of work to do so.  So in theory you should be able to create your own RTC client for the RTC Item Connector (and use it to synchronize RTC to RTC), but I don't know of anyone who has tried this.
Tojan John selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 13 '14, 8:59 a.m.
edited Aug 13 '14, 9:06 a.m.
There is no tooling provided to do this.

One could be created, but it would be more than an Item Connector.. the Item connector is the outbound interface.(something changed here, tell the other side).

when I built my item connector, I also had to build a web service for my other side to call. that web service used the item client interface to push the changes  into RTC

this was my design (salesforce service cloud on the other end, but same concepts)

the difficulty with RTC is that you will need the client apis to talk to the other end outbound.. and as the item connector runs as a subroutine of the server, you do not have access to the client apis.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 13 '14, 11:28 a.m.

Note that if by "RTC Item Connector", Tojan is referring to the connector framework used by the CQ Connector, then that supports a two-way flow of data updates.

sam detweiler commented Aug 13 '14, 11:42 a.m.

the server plugin does not do all this by itself.   the inbound changes are triggered by application interaction with the Item Connector framework

from my web service provider

IExternalProxy proxy = getExternalProxy(getRepository(),createItem.getProblem(),true, sPm);
                  IExternalState externalState = InteropFactory.INSTANCE
                          .createExternalState();
                  ISyncRule sr = getInteropMgr().findSyncRule(
                                  StringConstants.sfdcworkitem, sPm);
etc

this triggers change event method calls in the repository connector for the mapped attributes. for CQ there is an app that needs to be run.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 14 '14, 8:03 a.m.

I agree that the RTC server plug-in does not do all this by itself, but I consider the client application that calls the RTC server plug-in part of the "Item Connector framework".   So it appears the only part where Sam and I differ is on what is included by the IC framework.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.