It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Attribute ID/ Name space formats

Pradnya Raste (351524) | asked Aug 08 '14, 6:48 a.m.

Hi,

I am configuring a new work item and workflow etc for a process. While creating attributes, IDs need to be provided. so in case i have attribute like "Actual Date" i use the same as ID with "_" i.e "Actual_Date"

I wanted to know if this causes any problem for RTC. like may be getting crashed due to not following name space format like IBM fields have "something.com.ibm....."

Please suggest.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 08 '14, 7:31 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As far as I can tell, as long as the ID is unique (in the domain e.g. attributes) you can use any ID. For the tool the ID is just a string.

Having said that, there is a reason for using com.mycompany.custom.attribute like formats, with a different pattern to the one used by the default template. the most important is, being able to search for this pattern in the process configuration source and  easily find things.
Pradnya Raste selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Pradnya Raste commented Aug 08 '14, 7:36 a.m.

Thanks Ralph, This helps much.

I understand having standard string helps in terms of maintainability etc. however i was told by someone that the format like i explained above can crash the system corrupt the process template etc. i have advised my team to start using a specific string however in terms of old WIs i was worried more.

all the ids like above are unique ones. Based on your response i understand that it doesnt crash system.  Thanks a lot

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 08 '14, 7:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

This is a really good article on what you can do and what you should avoid.

https://jazz.net/library/article/1003

I have not come across someone complaining that underscores would crash RTC.

One other answer

permanent link
Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | answered Aug 08 '14, 7:36 a.m.
Agree with Ralph ... we tend to not use long attribute IDs, but tend to take the name, lower case it, and put _'s in, so Actual Date (the name) has an id of actual_date.  We also ensure by doing this that no two attribute have the same display name (which unfortunately, we had in the past) because that makes it obnoxiously hard in the QueryBuilder which only shows attribute Names, and doesn't limit the list if you have in your query a work item type.  So if I have "Next Release" as the name of different underlying attributes (not reusing the same attribute in different work items), you would get multiple of the same display name.  We even had someone (an old project area) add a "Resolution" custom attribute, which makes it difficult (not impossible) to get the right one when building a query (there is a tiny icon, but most people missed it).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.