It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

take 1 day to load data ( RTC + Rational Insight)

Mohamad Izzuddin (2815) | asked Aug 04 '14, 10:53 p.m.

Hello,

I already integrating between RTC and Insight. I used RTC to fill workitem Template and Ratinal Insight is to display report, the problem is every time i insert new data in workitem it take 1 day to load data in Ratinal insight. Why this happen? Can anyone give suggestin? Please.

Regards

Mohamad Izzuddin

Accepted answer

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Aug 05 '14, 3:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you are using 5.0, you can install the Data Collection Component (DCC) to execute faster and more frequent ETL's to refresh your data closer to real time.  This table is useful in determining which ETL solution suits you best.  Hope it helps,
Mohamad Izzuddin selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mohamad Izzuddin commented Aug 06 '14, 3:29 a.m.

Hello Benjamin,

Thanks for the reply. May i ask, is there another easy option to make ETL data refresh closer to real time? for example is change CLM setting .

I am very new to these tools and I need assistance to solve this problem. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Mohamad Izzuddin

Benjamin Silverman commented Aug 06 '14, 12:20 p.m.

Hi Mohomad,

Which version of CLM are you using?  It is generally not a good idea to run the ETL while users are using the system, but you can always run them manually or choose the time they are scheduled by modifying the advanced property called "Data Warehouse Snapshot Time".

If you use Insight or DCC (CLM 5.0 only), you can schedule them to run more frequently, but DCC is best optimized for this.  If you are using Insight, you can invoke a DCC collection from Insight Data Manager.  If you are not using Insight or DCC/CLM5.0, you don't have many options to refresh the data more frequently aside from executing the jobs manually.  I am not aware of a way to schedule these jobs multiple times a day using the CLM Java ETL's.

Mohamad Izzuddin commented Aug 07 '14, 4:50 a.m.

Hello Benjamin,

Thanks for the reply.

I am Using CLM version 5.0.

I  already set time 2 hour in Data Warehouse Snapshot Time for schedule and  insert new data in workitem in rtc .After 2 hour i try to view data or display new data in Rational insight but no new data is updated. Why this happen?

if I use DCC, does it will affect the RTC or RI or CLM, etc need to upgrate version RTC ?

Thank you for giving so many information to me.

Best Regards,
Mohamad Izzuddin

Benjamin Silverman commented Aug 07 '14, 2:19 p.m.

By setting the snapshot time to 2, you're just telling the server to run the ETL at 2AM, not setting the frequency in which it executes.  If you are already at version 5.0 of CLM and the Data Warehouse, you can plug DCC right in and use it to schedule/run your CLM ETL's.  DCC sounds to me like the best solution for what you're after.

2 other answers

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Aug 05 '14, 4:42 a.m.
Hello Mohamad,

this is the expected behavior.
Insight pulls the data for the reports from the data warehouse; this is populated with the data from the applications like RTC, RQM, etc. when the ETL runs.
Usually you run the ETL once a day, so what you see in the reports is the status of RTC at the time the last ETL was executed.

Best Regards,
Francesco Chiossi

Comments
Mohamad Izzuddin commented Aug 05 '14, 10:35 p.m.

Hello Francesco,

Thanks for the reply. May i ask, is there other option to make ETL data refresh closer to real time? Main problem right now is Rational Insight take 1 day to display updated data from RTC.

Best Regards,
Mohamad Izzuddin

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Aug 06 '14, 4:43 a.m.
Hello Mohamad,

the CLM ETL job is divided in the following components:

The JFS_ODS, RTC_ODS, RM_ODS and RQM_ODS jobs are populating the part of the data warehouse called operational data store. This is like a snapshot of the current status of the applications at the time the ETL jobs is executed. You can run this 4 jobs multiple times a day if you want the data of the data warehouse be closer to the actual status of RTC. One important consideration is that you need to evaluate how long those jobs take to complete, meaning you should schedule them in a way that the sequential executions doesn't overlap.

The Build_Star job, populate the metrics, that are basically trending and historical information. It's important that this job is run only once a day and after the other four are completed. Reason for not running it more than once a day is that you may incur in anomalous growth of the data warehouse size and reports based on metrics might display incorrect values (for example the original value multiplied by the time the Build_Star run that day). You can find more information on metrics in this article:

Improve the value of your CLM reports by using metrics
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/improve-value-clm-reports-metrics/index.html

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.