It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Changing CLM application names when using WAS

Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | asked Aug 04 '14, 6:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi all

When installing CLM 4.x into WAS, the applications by default are named

jts_war
ccm_war
clmhelp_war
admin_war
qm_war
rm_war

Can the name of the application be changed to any other during the installation without affecting CLM?
Are there any references inside Jazz that refer to the name of the application as installed in WAS?

For instance, say you want to rename the applications like this:

jts_war_406
ccm_war_406
clmhelp_war_406
etc

Note: This is not talking about changing the context root or the web module - simply the display name inside WAS.

many thanks

anthony

2 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Aug 05 '14, 9:07 p.m.
Hi Anthony,
I believe it's pretty safe to change the display name of the .war deployment, since it's just a default name assigned by WAS (if you change the .war file name, the display name will change accordingly during deployment). Actually, I rarely use "jts_war", "ccm_war" and etc as the display names in my WAS deployment, since I prefer just "jts" and "ccm". No ill effect that I can see in all the WAS deployments that I have so far.
Another thing to note is that "jts_war" is not written in any of the configuration files. The display name of a .war file normally appears in the configuration file of an .ear (Enterprise ARchive) file, and we don't use EAR files in Jazz products.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 05 '14, 2:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Anthony,

as far as I know you can use the IM silent install scripts to do that. There is also a manual way, which is described in https://jazz.net/library/article/1093 which is basically renaming the WAR file as well as the conf folder.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Aug 05 '14, 2:10 a.m. | edited Aug 05 '14, 2:10 a.m.

PS: You have to do that BEFORE you run the setup for that application and register it to a JTS, otherwise you are effectively trying to change the context root.. Because the name of the application reflects into its URI.

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 05 '14, 2:12 a.m.

Anthony, I can see the reason why you would want to install with a different context root. I can't imagine why you would want to do what you describe above. What is the use case?

Anthony Kesterton commented Aug 05 '14, 6:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks Ralph. 

So the reason for this is we want to clearly identify the version of RTC (and other CLM tools) being used.  The plan is to deploy multiple versions on the same instance of WAS, and we need some way to distinguish them.

Your point about this actually changing the context root is interesting - I thought you could have a different context root that did not depend on the WAR file name (but I need to check my WAS info to make sure I have this correct).

Christian Glockner commented Aug 05 '14, 6:34 a.m.

Just to elaborate on the use-case: This is using WAS ND with approximately 10 nodes. Those 10 nodes are not all going to be running the same version of CLM. So in order to be able to maintain different versions of the CLM applications in a WAS ND cell, one app is installed for each node, i.e. jts_war_node1, jts_war_node2, ccm_war_node1, ccm_war_node2 etc. That way each node has its own application and the applications can be upgraded individually for each node without affecting the others.

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 05 '14, 7:21 a.m. | edited Aug 05 '14, 7:24 a.m.

This is a question for a WAS expert, really. Which I am not.

I think I remember that, when deploying on WAS, you deploy an application and define the context root in one of the steps. Which is typically ccm/ for ccm.war.

Theorethically, you could choose something else. e.g ccm/ for ccm_0004711. However, I am not sure how CCM finds its config file server/conf/ccm and weather this is a method you should use at all.

In Tomcat the the conf/<foldername> has to be identical to the ccm war file name and - and are identical to the context root.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.