It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Rolling up time spent in parent/childTasks

Steve Briand (411817) | asked Apr 28 '09, 6:57 p.m.
We have a situation where we create parent tasks that have multiple children. The issue is that the child tasks do not rollup the time spent to the parent. I believe this functionality is not part of the 1.0 release. What we are looking for is a solution that can provide the information through the workitem, a report, or even the API if needed. The amount of time required to manually rollup the tasks today is significant and not practical.

2 answers

permanent link
Claudia Callegari (44439771) | answered May 07 '09, 5:26 p.m.
Does anybody know if any of this functionality is planned to be included in the future for RTC? 2.0? or higher?

Thanks
Claudia

permanent link
John Doran (9182) | answered Apr 28 '09, 8:04 p.m.
We have a situation where we create parent tasks that have multiple children. The issue is that the child tasks do not rollup the time spent to the parent. I believe this functionality is not part of the 1.0 release. What we are looking for is a solution that can provide the information through the workitem, a report, or even the API if needed. The amount of time required to manually rollup the tasks today is significant and not practical.

I would like to hear other ideas on how to accomplish this but here is my own.

1. You could write an AbstractAutoScheduledTask
It runs periodically on the server.

(see https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/QueryDevGuide)

It would query for work items, perhaps a specific type like defects or tasks, and where the time spent attribute has not been set yet.

For each work item, get the child references, if any.
For each child, get the "time spent" attribute.
Calculate the sum of all children for that parent.
Save the result on the parent work item.

I think the hard part is coming up with a correct and efficient query.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.