It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Managing process templates across the CLM platform

Henrik Sloth (48514) | asked Jul 29 '14, 5:23 a.m.
edited Jul 30 '14, 7:22 a.m.

I need some advice or best practices for managing process templates across the CLM platform. We have used RTC for workitem management for some years now. We have started using RTC for SCM and build also and have started pilots using the entire CLM platform.

Until now the management of the process templates has been fairly simple, but with the enablement of CLM, SCM and therefore more users and features, I need to form a process and describe how to maintain, upgrade and control our process templates/MASTER Project Areas

We have a rather large installation and we have 3 RTC(CLM) environments (development, system test and production) which may not, at all time, have the same version.

Could you provide me or guide me to some best practices on this issue.

Additional information:

In RTC we are using inheritance from a master template Project Area to most Project Areas.

I have 3 main Process Templates PAs in RTC. The original WIM one, one with SCM enablement and a simple one.

Only a few Project Areas are really customizing their process.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 03 '14, 11:51 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You will want to manage your project area processes through a "master process area", not through a "master template".   In particular, your project areas should "share" the process of one of your master project areas.   In order to allow project areas to easily switch between older and newer versions of the process, you would create a separate project area for each of your process versions.
See https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSCP65_5.0.0/com.ibm.jazz.platform.doc/topics/c_sharing_project_area_process.html?lang=en for details.
Henrik Sloth selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Henrik Sloth commented Aug 05 '14, 8:41 a.m.

Thanks!

This is kind of how we are doing it. I have a MASTER PA from which all PA inherits the process and a MASTER CHANGE PA from which the changes are first tested and later copied to the MASTER PA. Before copying from the MASTER CHANGE PA to the MASTER PA I am saving the process XML as a Process Template to be able to fallback.

I will consider creating MASTER PAs for each version, but usually I would like to push the change to the PAs without having to change the inheritance for all PAs.

3 other answers

permanent link
Jim Ruehlin (79114) | answered Aug 04 '14, 7:51 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 If you want to keep versions of the process configurations you use in the process provider (master), you may want to take a look at the first couple of labs of the Process Enactment Workshop. We discuss a way to use SCM to keep versions of older projects.

Comments
Henrik Sloth commented Aug 05 '14, 8:59 a.m.

Thanks!

Looks exciting. We are using RMC, I will take a look at the workshop.

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Jul 29 '14, 5:38 a.m.
Hi Henrik,

The management using master process area is correct approach here.

So the missing gap is how to synchronize between development, system test and production. To answer that, I need an information how you have created these environments and how you synchronize them in general (e.g. duplicating database only, using server rename feature etc.). Please share with us that information.

Comments
Henrik Sloth commented Jul 29 '14, 5:53 a.m. | edited Jul 29 '14, 5:54 a.m.

Hi Krzysztof

We do not synchronize the environments in regards of data. We have Project Areas in each environment that suits different purposes i.e. developing processes, testing a new process etc. Some pilots are using the system test environment during the test phase, but in general production is used also for pilots on new processes.

For now I have done one of two things. Either copying the process template source code to MASTER copy or adding changes in all environments to MASTER copies to be able to switch back and forth if something may go wrong.

So my question is also how to preserve versions of my MASTER template and the CHILD from which a new project area is initialized. I would like to consider the process template as source code and therefore apply and approach corresponding. And what about RQM, RRC, LPAs that works differently.

And thanks for your answer btw.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 05 '14, 10:52 a.m.
edited Aug 05 '14, 10:53 a.m.
how I recommend doing it..

project_template -> create anchor/master project, it shares process
    child projects - use master

on develop machine, create dev project from template
  create test child
   edit master project, til correct

extract process template from master
export template from dev machine
   add zip to templates SCM project, checkin and deliver, linked with workitem of work done to change template.
import new template into prod machine
   create new anchor from new template
     switch child projects to new template as available (some cannot change all at once due to code release schedules.
close workitem

repeat..
because u cannot delete templates that are connected to projects (anchors)
I created a utility to break that linkage so that when u archive the anchor project, you can delete the old template so that no one can accidentally use it.

all this only works for RTC, RQM and RRC/DNG don't use process sharing     

we also had a custom CLM template which we also saved in templates SCM project.

Comments
frederick carter commented Aug 12 '14, 6:11 a.m.

Sam

In your response You say "don't use process sharing "

Can you explain why process sharing should not be used ?

sam detweiler commented Aug 12 '14, 7:21 a.m.

I said,

all this only works for RTC.

RQM and RRC/DNG don't use process sharing (today/yet)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.