It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

IBM lab recommendation to include 15k-18k workitems in a plan in CLM4.0.6!

Rohit Balduwa (945511) | asked Jul 25 '14, 8:48 a.m.
I am trying to include 15k-18k work items in a plan in CLM4.0.6.

Till RTC-2.0.0.1,we had IBM lab recommendation not to include work items more than 2048 beyond which shows decreased performance in the web client as well as eclipse client.

For CLM4.x (CLM4.0.6), I couldn't find any similar IBM lab recommendation which limits the users to add work items in a plan beyond which it will throw errors/warnings.

Do you have any recommendations or any documentation which explains the limits for work items in plans.

Please suggest.

Referred links:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/106033/are-there-any-limits-on-number-of-work-items-a-plan-can-contain?redirect=%2Fforum%2Fquestions%2F106033%2Fare-there-any-limits-on-number-of-work-items-a-plan-can-contain

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 26 '14, 7:19 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RTC-1.x and RTC-2.x, there was a restriction that didn't allow you to view a plan if it had more than 2048 work items.  In RTC-3.x, that restriction was removed, but as Sam points out once you have more than a few hundred work items in a plan, performance can degrade.   I know some folks that successfully deal with 2000 work items in a plan, but others that (like Sam) start seeing degraded performance after a few hundred items.  The common way to cut down the number of items in a plan is to request only plan items to be loaded, or if you need to look at execution items, focus the plan on a sub-iteration.
Rohit Balduwa selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Rohit Balduwa commented Jul 27 '14, 11:52 p.m.

Hi Geoff, Sam

Appreciate your replies.

RTC3.x onwards, the limit restriction was removed. I can understand that there could be variations with different topology, user load and system requirements. With releases CLM4.x and onwards, performance has been better.

Are you aware of any load sharing report or charts for limit of WI in plans or recommendation documented which makes me understand the figures(numbers) beyond which i should not include work items in plans?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 04 '14, 12:31 a.m. | edited Aug 04 '14, 12:31 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am not aware of a report/chart with this information for a given release, but if I find one, I'll make sure to post its location.   Unless someone posts one soon, it would be worth submitting an enhancement request, asking for this information to be gathered and posted.

2 other answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jul 25 '14, 8:58 a.m.
2048?!..

best recommendation we got as no more than 200 workitems per plan. performance falls off greatly over this limit.

there were huge changes in the 4.x version compared to before.. and was significantly better, but performance still wasn't acceptable to my users. ( all of them using RTC via WAN connections from remote offices)

I don't think there are any physical limits, but they will be unmanageable once you get over 500 in my experience.

Comments
Rohit Balduwa commented Jul 25 '14, 9:08 a.m.

Hi Sam

thanks for the reply.
I had a similar understanding to number of workitems in plans however, please see the below sizing guide for RTC2.0:
https://jazz.net/library/content/articles/rtc/2.0/enterprise-configuration/sizing-guide/index.html
Abstract from the guide:
Plans: You can have as many plans as needed in the repository and they can also be deleted. However, a plan can only contain 2048 work items.

I am still not clear on the maximum value. Do we have any document or the sizing guide for CLM4.0.6?

sam detweiler commented Jul 25 '14, 9:13 a.m.

I understand.. but at V2 I would say no-one really knew. we started with 2.0.0.2 and it was bad.. V3 wasn't better.. V4 was better when we tested.. the team I was on was outsourced before 4.0 was installed in production.

the protocol for plans is very chatty (lots of smallish messages). for us the remote locations made for erratic performance because of phone line capacity issues..

sometimes a plan open would take 30 seconds, and sometimes 5 minutes.
(at ~400 workitems)

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Aug 25 '14, 4:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Rohit,

Just came across :
    https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CaseStudyRTCPlanLoadingPerformance
which has test results for plans containing different quantity of work items ranging from 333 to 9644.

Documented here is the Response time results comparing 3.0.1.3 and 4.0.3 using three browsers to access these plans with varied work item counts.

hope it helps.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Aug 25 '14, 8:00 a.m.

that is an amazing report on the work done to improve performance.
thanks to the authors for the work and the report. and to the folks who made the changes.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.