It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Consistency of Plan and Deliveries?

Armin Huemmer (2347) | asked Jul 18 '14, 1:26 a.m.
Situation
Several developers work on several plans and streams in the same Project Area. A certain plan ABC will result in necessary deliveries to a stream ABC. So typically there will exist a relation between a certain plan (and its elements) and a certain stream.

Complication
Our developers -today- have to know to which stream a certain delivery resulting from a planned action will have to go to. So they have to know that all deliveries planned by plan ABC will go to stream ABC but no other stream. If they unintentionally will deliver to a different stream, their changes will be lost.

Question
Is there a possibility to improve that? E.g. developers were asking for something like a "stream attribute" in plan elements (tasks). With this information, the tool could prevent delivery of contents to wrong stream.

Comments
Robert Wen commented Jul 18 '14, 2:37 a.m.

So, if the stream is tied to the iteration that is associated with a plan, do you name the stream so that it mirrors the name of the iteration? 

Armin Huemmer commented Jul 18 '14, 7:23 a.m.

No. There could be several iterations "contributing" to same stream.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 06 '14, 10:26 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Commonly, a developer is given a workspace to work on a given project, the flow target is set to the appropriate stream, and the user just selects the "deliver" operation (so there is little chance of delivering to the wrong stream).   Is that not the case in your environment?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 21 '14, 5:38 a.m.
Hi Armin,

unfortunately I think there is no trivial solution for this today. I would be happy for other user's input.
I tried to add an attribute of type Item (representing a RTC repository item) to a work item. If you configure the presentation, you have various choices for items to pick. Unfortunately Stream or workspace is not among the choices (image below). I would consider an enhancement request.

You could try to use a string attribute and put in the name string and potentially a HTTP Filtered Value Set to provide choices.

You could create an advisor that makes sure delivery fails if the delivery target is set to the wrong stream.

Just a thought.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 06 '14, 10:21 p.m.

Note that in RTC-5.0.1, you should be able to associate an RTC work item with an RTC stream, using an OSLC picker (see work item [CCM] SCM Support for OSLC global configuration contributor protocol (PLE) (278231) ).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.