It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to install SCM Tools in linux machine?

Vijay Reddy Gaddam (562841) | asked Jun 26 '14, 4:05 a.m.
 Hi,

I wnated to install SCM Tools on linux machine(RED HAT 5) without any eclipse IDE. 
The following are the steps I followed:
1. I didn't install eclipse on this machine?
2. Installed the Java 1.6 version on the linux machine.
3. Set the JAVA_HOME
4. Installed SCM Tools related to RTC version 4.0.4.

When I was trying to use scm commands an error was thrown:
Unrecognized option: -Xdump:system:events=systhrow,filter=java/lang/OutOfMemoryE                                                                             rror,request=exclusive+prepwalk
Could not create the Java virtual machine.
Scm:
JVM terminated. Exit code=1
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.37.x86_64/jre/bin/java
-Xmx512m
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6
-Xdump:system:events=systhrow,filter=java/lang/OutOfMemoryError,request=exclusiv                                                                             e+prepwalk
-jar /install/RTC/jazz/scmtools/eclipse//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.                                                                             1.1.R36x_v20101122_1400.jar
-os linux
-ws gtk
-arch x86_64
-showsplash
-launcher /install/RTC/jazz/scmtools/eclipse/scm
-name Scm
--launcher.library /install/RTC/jazz/scmtools/eclipse//plugins/org.eclipse.equin                                                                             ox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.2.R36x_v20101019_1345/eclipse_1310.so
-startup /install/RTC/jazz/scmtools/eclipse//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launche                                                                             r_1.1.1.R36x_v20101122_1400.jar
-exitdata 728010
-data @noDefault
-vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.37.x86_64/jre/bin/java
-vmargs
-Xmx512m
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6
-Xdump:system:events=systhrow,filter=java/lang/OutOfMemoryError,request=exclusiv                                                                             e+prepwalk
-jar /install/RTC/jazz/scmtools/eclipse//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.                                                                             1.1.R36x_v20101122_1400.jar

I have tried also enabling some lines in SCM.ini also but it also didn't work(-vm  .../../jdk/jre/bin)
1. How to solve this issue?
2. Did I miss any configurations?
3. Is it mandatory to install eclipse on linux machine?

Thanks and Regards,
Vijay.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Rohit Balduwa (945411) | answered Jun 26 '14, 4:31 a.m.
Hi Vijay

If you are using a different jvm than the one shipped with the RTC client, you may
need to change the path to your jdk in the "scm.ini" file.   Set the path by opening "scm.ini",
and modifying the line following "-vm" to the absolute path to your Java binary.

Error shows:
Unrecognized option: -Xdump:system:events=systhrow,filter=java/lang/OutOfMemoryError, request=exclusive +prepwalk   Could not create the Java virtual machine.

Please see you have followed the below technote:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21407634
Additional checks:
1) since you are using alternate JVM, verify that the -vm and the path are in separate lines.
example:
-vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.37.x86_64/jre/bin/java might not work

Correct:
-vm
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.37.x86_64/jre/bin/java

If above doesn't helps:
Try commenting the below property.
-Xdump:system:events=systhrow,filter=java/lang/OutOfMemoryError,request=exclusive+prepwalk

This property is used to generate a system dump when an out of memory error occurs.

let us know your findings.

Regards,
Rohit

Vijay Reddy Gaddam selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Jun 26 '14, 4:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 26 '14, 4:29 a.m.
In the error I see the following line: -vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.37.x86_64/jre/bin/java
To fix this issue you need to download the IBM JRE (the scmtools install package does not get bundled with the JRE) and add that path to the -vm option in scm.ini or download the eclipse install package which has the JRE bundled in it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.