It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What limit needs to be increased

Ian Wark (79713550) | asked Jun 25 '14, 2:55 a.m.
We have an issue on our RTC 4.0.6. Linux server. When we try to save build artifacts of about 1.8 GB we get an error in the Eclipse client, and on the server it has the below:

/ccm/service/com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.IDirectWritingContentService/_PS6lMPwFEeOv8dq68kUA0w/2934207593] ERROR ository.service.internal.RdbRepositoryDataMediator  - CRJAZ1036E The following content could not be saved: StoredContent(_PS6lMPwFEeOv8dq68kUA0w, application/unknown, 1872865280, None, HashCode(0xaee47469))
com.ibm.team.repository.common.ContentStorageException: CRJAZ0472I File exceeds one system limit on content files, file uuid: [UUID _PS6lMPwFEeOv8dq68kUA0w] filesize: 1872865280 system limit: 1073741824
        at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.db.filestorage.ContentStorage.checkContentLimit(ContentStorage.java:219)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.db.filestorage.ContentStorage.saveContent(ContentStorage.java:279)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.RdbRepositoryDataMediator.saveContent(RdbRepositoryDataMediator.java:1251)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.ContentService$6$1.persistOrUpdate(ContentService.java:779)

We can't find a relevant property in advanced properties on server or in teamserver.properties. Any ideas where this comes from?

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jun 25 '14, 7:24 a.m.

also, please don't save binary artifacts in the source control system.

use a binary artifact repository, like Nexus.

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jul 04 '14, 7:55 a.m.
edited Jul 07 '14, 10:54 a.m.
rtc stores everything in a relational database. binary files are stored in BLOBs.

my quess is that this is a database system blob size limit.. our prior experience was about 1.2 gig.

the RTC content model is when the use count (reference to) drops to 0, then the content will be purged.  Prior to 4.0.3, a workitem attachment could never be purged because the workitem history and comments had links to the attachment object.  in 4.0.3 a new eclipse gesture was added to force the delete. but it is manual.

at my prior customer, one team stored a couple large binaries in the source tree.
then when they did a build, these large files completely overran the Websphere app server comm buffers and JVM heap causing hard crashes. We had a particularly nasty network design with slow Wan links between the build machines and the RTC server..  so the data got into websphere fast, then consumed buffers for a long time causing lots of other performance & behavior issues

I do not have any download tabs on my build results.
Ian Wark selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Tim Mok commented Jul 07 '14, 10:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

This is indeed a limit on the BLOB size.

https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/11474
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/50297

If you would like this to be considered, please open an RFE using the link below:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=submitRfe&BRAND_ID=1&PROD_FAM_ID=244&PROD_ID=435&PRESELECT_DROPDOWNS=true

Although, I agree with Sam that binaries should not be stored in source control. There are tools out there dedicated to storing binaries.

One other answer

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Jun 25 '14, 3:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello Ian,
I am no Linux expert, but the link below might help:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/file-size-limit-exceeded-error-under-linux-and-solution/

Hope it helps,
Eric

Comments
Ian Wark commented Jul 04 '14, 1:07 a.m.

We are still working on this. We couldn't find anything per se in Linux OS settings that causes this. But we have a follow up question.

When you delete build results from the Eclipse client by right-clicking on the build result and selecting to delete, it asks, Do you want to completely delete this? but when we tested, files in the Download tab were still reference-able after the delete of the build result (while the tab was still open). The rest of the configuration was completely gone and could not be found. It looks like the context menu option to delete the build result is only a logical delete and the files are still contained in the database. Are the files logically or physically deleted from the database?

Also, there are buttons to delete files on the Download tab as well. Are these also logical or physical deletes?

We ask this because of the comment from Sam Detweiler above, and because if we can't physically delete large files from the database, it will rapidly pile up and might cause a problem.

Spencer Murata commented Jul 07 '14, 8:51 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The build items are not deleted immediately with the build result.  They are marked for deletion at a later point.  Look at the com.ibm.team.build.internal.service.delete.BuildResultPrunerTask  settings to control how often the Build pruner will go through and remove those contributions.

~Spencer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.