It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Default or Current flow target used for builds

Brian DiCola (29311415) | asked Jun 22 '14, 8:02 a.m.
If my repository workspace has 2 flow targets, one default and one current, then which flow target is used during the accept operation in a build?

Thanks.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jun 22 '14, 8:03 a.m.

Last I saw this on 4.0.4 you got both

One answer

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Jun 22 '14, 9:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Sam is correct.  The builds work differently than a regular developer workspace -- it accepts from all flows, so it's important to ensure there are no conflicts on the components between flow targets, using scoped flows if needed.
See https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BuildFAQ#How_should_my_source_code_be_loa

Comments
Brian DiCola commented Jun 23 '14, 9:36 a.m.

Thank you.  I grabbed the quote, to paste here.

"Multiple flow targets are also supported, in which case the build workspace gets the union of their contents. The only restriction is that there be no overlap between the targets' components. Such collisions can be avoided by configuring scoped flows in the workspace editor."

This is really good to keep in mind in configuring my build strategy.

However, now I'm thinking about the use case where a typical developer, not a release engineer, has multiple flow targets (for whatever reason) and they don't know about this behavior.

So, say a developer have 2 flow targets for his workspace, and they are not scoped, meaning that both flow targets include all components and they overlap.  They request a personal build, override the workspace configured for the build definition, and expect the build to take from their current flow target.  With overlapping components what will happen? 

Thanks.

sam detweiler commented Jun 23 '14, 9:46 a.m. | edited Jun 23 '14, 10:11 a.m.

they will get a warning message, and usually junk output from the build. (depending on the resulting conflicts of course). I don't know if there are any precedence rules on the order of which targets are used.  it might be sequential.

Nick Edgar commented Jun 23 '14, 10:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

A personal build does not run an accept/replace, it just does the load of the given dev workspace.

sam detweiler commented Jun 23 '14, 10:25 a.m. | edited Jun 23 '14, 10:25 a.m.

doah, of course.. personal means use my workspace!..  sorry I missed that.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.